Salamander canal boat flue kit

Phil1884

Featured Posts

Has anyone used this? Have just purchased this as it will fit my 4kw arada nicely although surprisingly only the flue exiting the cabin is twin wall. They state that this is in accordance with the code of practise BS 8511:2010 but soliftec claim that to conform, both inside and outside should be double insulated! I know the code is not mandatory but this is a little confusing!

The link is here

http://salamanderstoves.com/portfolio/canal-boat-stove/

We bought the 'Pipsqueak' stove (next size down from the hobbit) and used their Flue kit - it was however on 3" and in stainless steel so not a like for like comparison.

Because of the size of the grate on the Pipsqueak, it apparently falls below the minimum size quoted by EU regulations and therefore installation and use is 'free of rules' (we did install it generally in accordance with Soliftec guidelines)

Has anyone used this? Have just purchased this as it will fit my 4kw arada nicely although surprisingly only the flue exiting the cabin is twin wall. They state that this is in accordance with the code of practise BS 8511:2010 but soliftec claim that to conform, both inside and outside should be double insulated! I know the code is not mandatory but this is a little confusing!

The link is here

http://salamanderstoves.com/portfolio/canal-boat-stove/

Salamander stoves are correct!

BS 8511 does not require the flue to be double skin insulated all the way down to the stove, only the bit at the top that starts 150mm below the roof lining and goes through it up to and including the chimney outside. The rest of the flue from there down to the top of the stove can be single skin uninsulated. BUT, and here there is IMHO a flaw in the published document (which I pointed out at the comment stage!!), it says the single skin bit should "preferably" be no more than 1m long - of course it would need to be at least 1.5m long to reach the top of the stove in a normal boat.

I keep saying this on here but remember BS 8511 is a document 35 pages long and explores quite a range of options that it considers are safe under different installation arrangements.

The Soliftec drawing is an excellent precis of BS 8511 but does necessarily leave out many of the possible options and also, I have to say, looks somewhat unlike most canal boat installations!

Soliftec have however done tests that they say show the application of a double skin insulated flue can save fuel costs due to being able to operate a boat stove at a lower burning rate without it going out due to lack of draw from a single skin flue/chimney.

Why not have a word with the Salamander tech people and get them to explain the background to the design of their flue etc. I found it was useful to do this with Arada when I bought their Hamlet stove and was concerned about a number of things that were then still up in the air during the drafting of 8511.

Richard

Double skin is best for draft.

Single skin is best for efficiency.

Safety doesn't come into it at all*.

Rules are rules, assuming anyone checks.

*Assuming you keep the heat away from flammable roof materials.

Daniel