excess gearbox oil

alant

Featured Posts

:D

Apparently I need to remove about half a litre of gearbox oil (overfilled) on a Beta 35. One engine manufacturer has a manual pump and tube to do this (£25 ish)but could I just suck it out using a bit of plastic pipe as a syphon ? or does anyone know of alternatives?

Alan

If you want a simple manual pump that will do it, (and help with future gearbox oil changes), it doesn't need to be that expensive.....

Something like this will fit the bill....

Link to details of suitable pump

I was able to pick one up in a local motorspares shop for around a tenner, so you don't actually need to mail order, necessarily.

Alan

Guest Trevor George
. . . or does anyone know of alternatives?

A simple "Turkey Baster" from you local "Kitchens" type shop is generally available for about a fiver or so. That's what I use for doing similar to my motorcycles.

baster34.gif

Alternativly you can stuck it out by hand (mouth) if you conect two tubes to the top of a jar somhow (black gaffa)

- Or just using a really long (clear) pipe that you dont mind wrecking.

Otherwise, does it not have a drain plug you can get to?

I doubt it would syphon very well tho, bearing in mind you can get the end of the pipe that much lower that the top, and gearbox oil isnt like water.

Daniel

Alternativly you can stuck it out by hand (mouth) if you conect two tubes to the top of a jar somhow (black gaffa)

- Or just using a really long (clear) pipe that you dont mind wrecking.

Otherwise, does it not have a drain plug you can get to?

I doubt it would syphon very well tho, bearing in mind you can get the end of the pipe that much lower that the top, and gearbox oil isnt like water.

Daniel

Use a "Sucky pump" (My brother-in-law's name for it.) See here: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...p;hl=sucky+pump

Edited by Theo

A simple "Turkey Baster" from you local "Kitchens" type shop is generally available for about a fiver or so. That's what I use for doing similar to my motorcycles.

baster34.gif

A Fiver?!!!! I bought one from Wilkinsons for about 50p

Edited by David Schweizer

A Fiver?!!!! I bought one from Wilkinsons for about 50p

The sucky pump is much mare expensive but it will suck up about a gallon before it needs emptying.

Nick