Do I need a VHF radio on the tidal Trent

Chris Hills

Featured Posts

That was another rare "one off". . . . and this one was for Staythorpe ( or Farndon if your NC)

One off or not....surely some of the point of having a VHF is to know what might be round the next bend....it's rare for a narrowboat to sink on a big river but you will be glad of a lifejacket when it does......"One off" events quite often happen before a serious accident. Taking simple and relatively cheap precautions such as a VHF, life jacket, anchor etc helps reduce the risk.

The attitude of some people on here who resent spending a small amount of money and a little time doing something like a VHF course really beggars belief. As has been said this mindset together with the lack of common sense that prevails today will see even more legislation and restrictions placed on us.

Cheers

Gareth

But Tony you said

"Since the end of the Besthorpe traffic over a year ago, there is no commercial traffic above Keadby."

Which is quite clearly wrong.

The point I was making is that above Keadby,since July 2013 there is no longer commercial traffic on the move which C&RT lock keepers will not be aware of, so they are able to warn any pleasure boats that are likely to meet them. The rare, occasional passage of vessels such as "Inland Navigator" and the ro-ro pontoon and tugs you thought were heading for Farndon are always notified to C&RT well in advance. So not having VHF is not really a problem, unless you want to continue down below Keadby.

Why are so you so keen to know? Interesting!

Just interested.

We were reported this year by the owners of a tug style narrowboat who claimed that our wash swamped their engine room. Interesting that they picked our boat of a group of four or five.

They reported us to the the lock keeper at the next lock and demanded he took our insurance details.

One off or not....surely some of of the point having a VHF is to know what might be round the next bend....it's rare for a narrowboat to sink on a big river but you will be glad of a lifejacket when it does......"One off" events quite often happen before a serious accident. Taking simple and relatively cheap precautions such as a VHF, life jacket, anchor etc helps reduce the risk.

The attitude of some people on here who resent spending a small amount of money and a little time doing something like a VHF course really beggars belief. As has been said this mindset together with the lack of common sense that prevails today will see even more legislation and restrictions placed on us.

Cheers

Gareth

Unfortunately VHF is not very effective for that when broadcasts from the commercial are being picked up by a pleasure boat who doesn't know the river well enough to know where he is himself. The situation will usually be made even more confusing for the pleasure boat because the commercial will be using names for a lot of places on the river that you won't find on any map. A warning and advice from a lock keeper is far more likely to result in meeting the commercial where you expect to.

Unfortunately VHF is not very effective for that when broadcasts from the commercial are being picked up by a pleasure boat who doesn't know the river well enough to know where he is himself. The situation will usually be made even more confusing for the pleasure boat because the commercial will be using names for a lot of places on the river that you won't find on any map. A warning and advice from a lock keeper is far more likely to result in meeting the commercial where you expect to.

Come on then Tony. Which names will they be using which you wont find on a map or the charts?

Funnily enough all the ones we have heard have mentioned bends and places easily identifiable.

Anyway. Are we going to see you when we visit Holme Lock shortly?

The point I was making is that above Keadby,since July 2013 there is no longer commercial traffic on the move which C&RT lock keepers will not be aware of, so they are able to warn any pleasure boats that are likely to meet them. The rare, occasional passage of vessels such as "Inland Navigator" and the ro-ro pontoon and tugs you thought were heading for Farndon are always notified to C&RT well in advance. So not having VHF is not really a problem, unless you want to continue down below Keadby.

So your comment was inaccurate?

Just interested.

We were reported this year by the owners of a tug style narrowboat who claimed that our wash swamped their engine room. Interesting that they picked our boat of a group of four or five.

They reported us to the the lock keeper at the next lock and demanded he took our insurance details.

So we know of at least 2 incidents involving your boat and a narrow boat then...

Nothing that size.

Ah. It has occured to me why you are so confused now.

No Tony, there is no commercial traffic of that size at Home Lock.

So we know of at least 2 incidents involving your boat and a narrow boat then...

No because we didnt swamp the tug, (it was amazingly dry and running when it passed us a couple of hours later when we were moored up by the way) and we didnt "get too close" to the Springer.

If they thought we were too close i dread to think how they get on, on the canals where there is less room. Peoples perception of too close obviously varies but we never knowingly pass anything on the river close enough to cause them concern.

Not at Farndon either . . . . Inland Navigator can reach there, and above . . . . but not that ro-ro pontoon with the tugs.

Edited by tony dunkley

Not at Farndon either.

Tony. I can understand your confusion as it is a stretch of your "home waterway" you wont be familiar with.

To help you along here is a picture of the power station, Staythorpe, where the turbine was delivered by commercial vessel (now you posted and agreed with this also)

Now whats the name of that marina on the corner. Oh yes Farndon frusty.gif

3-staythorpe-plant.jpg

Incidentally thats the corner opposite the marina where boats keep running aground.biggrin.png

Well it was our first time on the Trent and funnily enough thanks to having charts and a working pair of mark one eyeballs we were quite confident where we were at all times....also at no point were names used that didn't appear on said charts. The lockies did know that Inland Navigator was moving but as they didn't know our speed or Inland Navigators then they didn't know where we would meet.

I'm really glad you are not responsible for my safety....however with advice like you are giving out you may put others into danger.

Cheers

Gareth

Tony. I can understand your confusion as it is a stretch of your "home waterway" you wont be familiar with.

To help you along here is a picture of the power station, Staythorpe, where the turbine was delivered by commercial vessel (now you posted and agreed with this also)

Now whats the name of that marina on the corner. Oh yes Farndon frusty.gif

3-staythorpe-plant.jpg

Incidentally thats the corner opposite the marina where boats keep running aground.biggrin.png

Not the vessels you referred to in Post 39

Its a commercial vessel Tony.

Remember posting this in post 29

"Since the end of the Besthorpe traffic over a year ago, there is no commercial traffic above Keadby."

Bit wrong that isnt it?

The ro-ro pontoon pictured in Gainsborough on Post 39 is too big to reach Staythorpe.

No because we didnt swamp the tug, (it was amazingly dry and running when it passed us a couple of hours later when we were moored up by the way) and we didnt "get too close" to the Springer.

If they thought we were too close i dread to think how they get on, on the canals where there is less room. Peoples perception of too close obviously varies but we never knowingly pass anything on the river close enough to cause them concern.

Well we know how concerned you are about people's safety so please 'play' carefully. It's not just about proximity, it's also about speed...

Well we know how concerned you are about people's safety so please 'play' carefully. It's not just about proximity, it's also about speed...

No ones safety was at risk!!

If you were there you would have seen that for yourself frusty.gif

The ro-ro pontoon pictured in Gainsborough on Post 39 is too big to reach Staythorpe.

Tony. We have already proven your point invalid.

I suppose this wasnt commercial enough either? Because according to you "there is no commercial traffic above Keadby."

http://www.maritimejournal.com/news101/seawork/terra_marique_brings_load_work_to_seawork

Or does this confuse you as its below Holme Lock?

Well it was our first time on the Trent and funnily enough thanks to having charts and a working pair of mark one eyeballs we were quite confident where we were at all times....also at no point were names used that didn't appear on said charts. The lockies did know that Inland Navigator was moving but as they didn't know our speed or Inland Navigators then they didn't know where we would meet.

I'm really glad you are not responsible for my safety....however with advice like you are giving out you may put others into danger.

Cheers

Gareth

They should have known, especially as you met in the relatively short stretch between Nether and Cromwell. The fact that they didn't know despite having VHF at their disposal would seem to emphasise the point I was making.

They should have known, especially as you met in the relatively short stretch between Nether and Cromwell. The fact that they didn't know despite having VHF at their disposal would seem to emphasise the point I was making.

That is what is called clutching at straws Tony and utter drivel.

No ones safety was at risk!!

If you were there you would have seen that for yourself frusty.gif

Tony. We have already proven your point invalid.

I suppose this wasnt commercial enough either? Because according to you "there is no commercial traffic above Keadby."

http://www.maritimejournal.com/news101/seawork/terra_marique_brings_load_work_to_seawork

Or does this confuse you as its below Holme Lock?

No you haven't, and that article re. Wynn's MPP was 10 years ago.

Really?.....how would they have known down to a few hundred feet?....do they have a port radar in each lock hut? What's the aversion you have to VHF?....I'm sure you just like to court controversy....I really don't see how just having a mobile phone would make your passage easier unless you know the personal numbers of all the skippers on the Trent...Ouse...Severn...etc

Cheers

Gareth

Really?.....how would they have known down to a few hundred feet?....do they have a port radar in each lock hut? What's the aversion you have to VHF?....I'm sure you just like to court controversy....I really don't see how just having a mobile phone would make your passage easier unless you know the personal numbers of all the skippers on the Trent...Ouse...Severn...etc

Cheers

Gareth

He doesnt understand why you would need one because he doesnt need one whilst moored at Holme Lock not going anywhere biggrin.png

• Greenie 1