battery charger

joerobo

Featured Posts

The rule of thumb seems to be 10% of the bank capacity so 45amp would be correct for your 450 bank.

But that' advice only applies to battery longevity. From a practical point of view where charge times are relevant and particularly as the OP is intending to use a generator, up to C/3 i.e. max charge current equivalent to one third of battery capacity is a good compromise between battery longevity and charge time.

The OP doesn't mention the specific continuous power output of genny but 2000 watts should power up to a 60 amp charger at least.

Yes a rule of thumb but joerobo look here http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/chargesize.html

If it is a choice between a 30 and 45 then go for the 45.

Whatever charger you get the maximum output will only be for the bulk phase of charging as soon as the batteries go into absorption they (the batteries) control the output taken from the charger, it will be a lot less than the maximum the charger is capable of.

The other question is whether the generator will run the charger others will know, it is still something I am trying to get my head round.

I know it depends on the power required to run the charger whether that is on the label I do not know.

Edit: see I knew someone would know by'eck posted at same time as me.

Edited by bottle

Got myself a 2000 watt generater but not sure on charger both are soft start so its 30 or 45 amp.only got 2 110amp batterys at mo but increasing next year to 450 amp .

I would look for a larger one at around 60amp. There's no real rule of thumb, but many recommend 10% as it's nice for the batteries. However as your using a generator and not via shoreline been nice to batteries means lots of fuel. So bulk charging only, with a full charge every week is prob the most cost effective solution. Solar will help on the full charge even in winter.

A good addition is a battery monitor that can measure how many amps is going into the batteries (even a clamp meter) as you'll then be able see when charging using the generator is not worthwhile.

Even so the larger one would be better because it would be able to charge the batteries and run anything else that was working (12v and inverter loads) up to its maximum output.

Example batteries will only take 5 amps, because they are nearly fully charged you will then have approximately 40 amps still available to run other things, TV, Fridge etc.

The 70A rating would be for ideal conditions though.

For a hot engine room with cables in bundles or conduit, 16mm2+ would be better. 10mm2 should be OK if the cables are spaced apart a little and surface mounted.

'Amps divided by three' is a good rule of thumb for sizing cables in mm2

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete