Long standing pubs on the Shroppie and Llangollen

Philip

Featured Posts

Interested to know which canalside pubs on these two canals were operating as pubs in the working boat days, not necessarily built with the canal but serving boaters before pleasure traffic took over.

I know a few already - the Anchor an obvious one. Also I believe the Bridge Inn at Audlem and also the Bridge at Brewood were old boaters' pubs, as was the Wharf Inn at Shebdon going by this photo http://www.search.staffspasttrack.org.uk/content/images/18/7/Resource/1080-0.jpg. Possibly the Junction at Norbury and the Barbridge Inn though I'm not sure about these two.

Anyone know any others?

Edited by Philip

The Bridge Inn at Audlem was built at about the same time as the canal opened (1835), The Barbridge Inn is a very modern name - it was the Kings Arms for most of its existence.

Then there's the Boat Inn and the Navigation at Gnosall, the Wharf at Goldstone, and the Hartley Arms at Wheaton Aston. The Talbot at Market Drayton is almost canalside.

And no doubt lots more.

The Bridge Inn at Audlem was built at about the same time as the canal opened (1835), The Barbridge Inn is a very modern name - it was the Kings Arms for most of its existence.

Then there's the Boat Inn and the Navigation at Gnosall, the Wharf at Goldstone, and the Hartley Arms at Wheaton Aston. The Talbot at Market Drayton is almost canalside.

And no doubt lots more.

Yep the Barbridge is listed as the Kings Arms in an early 1980s Nicholsons edition we have. Interesting that so far no pubs on the Llangollen have been mentioned, I didn't think there were many 'really' old canalside pubs along there.

Yep the Barbridge is listed as the Kings Arms in an early 1980s Nicholsons edition we have. Interesting that so far no pubs on the Llangollen have been mentioned, I didn't think there were many 'really' old canalside pubs along there.

A bit of history about the Barbridge Inn if anyone's interested.

Around 1975/6 The Kings Arms at Barbridge was derelict. Old friends of my family were running The White Horse in Nantwich at the time. They took me and my family to see the Kings Arms, and told us of their plans to renovate and rename it. I recall climbing the rickety stairs and carefully walking over the bare upstairs floor joists. Their plans eventually came to fruition, and I recall first visiting the reopened pub, renamed Barbridge Inn in 1980, but it that was some years after it had been renovated.

Does anyone remeber Sam & Queenie Hewitt?

One of my favourite canal-side pubs is the Navigation on the Montgomery Canal in Maesbury Marsh, Shropshire. I'd imagine it has been a boaters' pub for a fair while.

Not sure how old it is, but the Narrow Boat on the Llangollen Canal near Ellesmere/Whittington (Bridge 5W) in Shropshire is a possible..?

The only other old canal-side pub that springs to mind in Shropshire (on still-navigable canals) is of course the Queen's Head, again on the Monty.

The Wharf at Shebdon I believe is no longer open (hasn't been converted to a house yet, but only a matter of time) but the Anchor nearby (at Bridge 42) is still going. smile.png

Edited by Proud Salopian

Seem to recall reading that the Narrowboat is fairly recent as a pub (1970s maybe?). I'm guessing the Willeymoor Lock was formerly the lock keeper's cottage. The Dusty Miller was a cornmill until the 1970s. Don't know about the Cotton Arms, the Telford Inn or the 'Mad Jacks'. There's also the old Waggoners Inn at Platt Lane which I don't think is in a better state now that it was after the fire in 2008.

Shame about the Wharf Inn, though not surprising given its isolated location and the fact it had limited opening hours.

Edited by Philip

The Willeymore used to be a lockeepers cottage (well the central part) does that count?

The Willeymore used to be a lockeepers cottage (well the central part) does that count?

Thought so, guessing the lockie at Willeymoor was responsible for the other two locks in the area? I've not seen a trace of a cottage at Quoisley or Poveys locks.