Long Term Moorings

kackara

Featured Posts

Anyone got any suggestions for topics?

Jon

I would have liked more info. on mooring and the rules governing where you can moor long term. I thought I could tie up anywhere once I had paid my licence and insurance. I didn't realise you required a residential mooring. It seems to defeat the object of living on a boat. I may as well have bought a house next to the cut.

I did try to speak to a couple of boaters who were tied up next to their sheds with a garden but got a a negative response, they acted as if it was a secret society. I should have come on here first. :)

Kackara.

I can only speak for my area, (No I can't but you know what I mean).

I am one of the boring ones that keep my boat in a marina so I am not really involved with your situation.

What you want is to be able to live on and cruise your boat when you feel like it without incurring to much hassle from anyone. You will need either a continuous cruising license or you will need to have a permanent mooring, Werther a BW towpath job or a commercial marina berth.

In my area there very few marinas who will allow you to live there permanently, in fact that rule is often imposed on them by the local authority, that said some will have one or two unofficial residents as it helps with security.

Towpath moorings in theory operate under similar rules, but everyone knows that if you pick the right spot, keep a low profile, don't have piles of firewood on your roof or on the towpath, you can live out your days there un-molested.

In a similar way if you have a continuous cruising license, change your area regularly, keep a low profile don't moor outside the most popular pub for weeks on end or hog the mooring closest to the railway station few people will take notice.

British Waterways are essentially lazy, they only respond to complaints and then very reluctantly, they like a quiet life too.

It is a pity but that idly lifestyle on a quiet rural mooring, waving occasionally to passing boats exists for only the very few.

John Squeers

Edited by John Orentas

• 2 months later...
Kackara.

I can only speak for my area, (No I can't but you know what I mean).

I am one of the boring ones that keep my boat in a marina so I am not really involved with your situation.

What you want is to be able to live on and cruise your boat when you feel like it without incuring to much hassle from anyone.  You will need either a continuous cruising license or you will need to have a permanent mooring, wether a BW towpath job or a commercial marina berth. 

In my area there very few marinas who will allow you to live there permanentley, in fact that rule is often imposed on them by the local aurthority, that said some will have one or two unofficial residents as it helps with security.

Towpath moorings in theory operate under simillar rules, but everyone knows that if you pick the right spot, keep a low profile, don't have piles of firewood on your roof or on the towpath, you can live out your days there un-molested. 

In a simillar way if you have a continuous cruising license, change your area regularly, keep a low profile don't moor outside the most poular pub for weeks on end or hog the mooring closest to the railway station few people will take notice.

British Waterways are essentially lazy, they only respond to complaints and then very reluctantly, they like a quiet life too.

It is a pity but that idilyc lifestyle on a quiet rural mooring, waving occasionally to passing boats exists for only the very few.

John Squeers

Ahh thats my first Qs answered without even asking :lol:

Ahh thats my first Qs answered without even asking  :lol:

I assume that your question was about long term mooring without an official berth.

I have said here before if people just have a licence and no official mooring the results of over staying 'your welcome' will be that, eventually, the Genuine Continous Cruiser will be penalised.

I know there are peoiple here that don't particularly agree with CCer's and their freedom to moor anywhere providing they don't over stay their welcome, but at the end of the day Cest la vie.

They might just as well ask why everyone dosen't have a nice 3 bed semi with two cars and 2.4 children and 2 months holiday a year.

It's the way it is, change will not make it any better for them just worse for CCer's.

Give any permantly mooerd boat owner the money to be a CCer and most if not all will jump at the chance.

Ps There is no Continuous Crusiers licence all boats pay the same.

Edited by maffi mushkila

I am surprised that the issue of CC's has been brought to the fore. I was under the impression that it was a taboo subject. As well as being here it now also pops up under the thread 'What sort of future?' Well all I can say is good luck especially with the rubbish I got when I tried to raise genuine concerns about CC rights. I got the impression Jon O and others wanted canals that didnt have any boats on them!

Edited by Jon

That is rubbish Roger

CC are fine but for every CC (genuine one that is) there are 2 others riding on the backs of the CC brigade that are breaking all the rules.

My boat was ready in September and i could not find a mooring, i could have brought it up hear and just moored up somewhere moving it from time to time or leave it in the marina 1 1/2 hrs away till i find a mooring, it is still in the boat yard waiting for me to gt a mooring.

Edited by Richard Bustens

Its not a taboo subject. The problem is that the context of discussion gets confused. As I understand it, there are those boats who legally and rightly, continuously cruise. These boaters pay licence fees, are polite, courtious and a pleasure to meet (mostly).

Then there are those boaters whose boats are unlicenced, in a massive state of disrepair, they are messy, discourtious and generally not very pleasant. These are the people who get objections...

If you are a licenced cruiser that sticks to all to rules of your licence, no-one will have a problem!

Then for the purposes of this forum we should be talking about those who do try to keep within the rules, because every time this CC debate comes up it causes venom to be spat, and its not the fault of those who do try to act reasonbly within the regulations.

Kackara.

What you want is to be able to live on and cruise your boat when you feel like it without incurring to much hassle from anyone.  You will need either a continuous cruising license or you will need to have a permanent mooring, Werther a BW towpath job or a commercial marina berth. 

John Squeers

Whilst this is what the rules suggest, there is a third alternative which lies between continuous crusing and permanently moored, and is rarely ever referred to. I cruise my boat throught the summer and then book a winter mooring. As my licence renewal occurs on January 1st each year, my mooring place is always indicated as the loction of my winter mooring for that year, and is identified as a winter mooring. I am not identified as being either a continuous cruiser or as having a permanent mooring, but I don't know what the catagory is called. Any suggestions?

Then for the purposes of this forum we should be talking about those who do try to keep within the rules, because every time this CC debate comes up it causes venom to be spat, and its not the fault of those who do try to act reasonbly within the regulations.

I quite agree, and I will ask the moderating team to watch posts accordingly. Since this thread is now becoming a mirror of the What sort of future? thread, I'm going to close this one, and leave for reference.

Thanks

Jon