Narrow beam cruisers

max campbell

Featured Posts

. Why don't you just read the original post before you start the op is not in the market for a brand new boat he has 15 k which in the second hand market will give him pretty much freedom to buy whatever he wants in the category he,s looking at ,I to have a yoghurt pot it's old and it's a bit tatty but it's mine I also see know reason to attack anyone that does,nt want to drive around in the same as me just except you and your choice of boat are in a minority on a canal forum and differ to the majority of members here that either own or want to own a narrow boat made of steel sorry to piss on your fire but that's just the way it is hu.

So I proved you wrong and you don't like it?

There are a hell of a lot of GRP boats for the £15k that the op has to spend which are suitable for muddy ditches. There are also ones far more expensive.

<Comment removed>

A quick google will prove the point nicely.

Not everyone wants a rusty sewer tube. The op has asked about GRP boats, why head in the sewer tube direction?

Edited by Grace & Favour
uneccesary 'language'

Both Viking and Shetland still make brand new narrow beam cruisers as do Atlanta and they are a damn sight more expensive than £15k.

Fair enough - I stand corrected

Craftycarper does make a good point about the op's 15 grand budget though - which precludes any brand new GRP cruiser

So I proved you wrong and you don't like it?

There are a hell of a lot of GRP boats for the £15k that the op has to spend which are suitable for muddy ditches. There are also ones far more expensive.

<Comment removed>

A quick google will prove the point nicely.

Not everyone wants a rusty sewer tube. The op has asked about GRP boats, why head in the sewer tube direction?

. Wow FairPlay just got back from lunch to see you're [mod edit] still posting the stuff you normally post and I don't like it [/mod edit] Edited by FadeToScarlet

Well, we bought a 1993 Viking 28 narrow beam, aft cockpit - recently re-fitted with new side linings, hob, oven, sink, fridge, cushions, etc. 10 year old Honda 30, teak cockpit floor, for £16k.

We just don't like narrow boats - nowhere comfortable to sit when helming or keeping the helm company; stupidly heavy; feels like a small house inside.

We went to look at a 32, centre cockpit / aft cabin, but all the petrol & electrics were under the rear bed, which made the aft cabin smell a bit petrol - y, and meant every time you needed to access anything you had to unmake the bed. The 28, however, has a "crawl space" double under the cockpit floor which need never be disturbed, and the petrol, electrics & gas are all at the back of the cockpit. We also fell in love with the way the previous owner had opened up the main cabin into 1 big space.

Take up our mooring in Ely marina on 15th Aug. Can't wait.

Max Campbell.

Congrats on your purchase!

You have listed a few of the reasons I am not keen on centre cockpit boats.

Best piece of advice is get out and enjoy your new boat. You're on a perfect river to do it, the Honda 30 shouldn't be bothered by all the duckweed on the Ouse at the mo either....

Edited by gazza

Well, we bought a 1993 Viking 28 narrow beam, aft cockpit - recently re-fitted with new side linings, hob, oven, sink, fridge, cushions, etc. 10 year old Honda 30, teak cockpit floor, for £16k.

We just don't like narrow boats - nowhere comfortable to sit when helming or keeping the helm company; stupidly heavy; feels like a small house inside.

We went to look at a 32, centre cockpit / aft cabin, but all the petrol & electrics were under the rear bed, which made the aft cabin smell a bit petrol - y, and meant every time you needed to access anything you had to unmake the bed. The 28, however, has a "crawl space" double under the cockpit floor which need never be disturbed, and the petrol, electrics & gas are all at the back of the cockpit. We also fell in love with the way the previous owner had opened up the main cabin into 1 big space.

Take up our mooring in Ely marina on 15th Aug. Can't wait.

Be prepared to be shot down in flames for daring to say something like that laugh.png

Best of luck with your new boat and I hope you have many happy hours aboard her.cheers.gif