Owatrol alternative?

Featured Posts

Im with MTB on this one, don't like shiny boats.

Have experimented with matting additive (from International) but you need a lot (50%) to have any effect and then the paint don't cover as well as it might. I have used Craftmaster undercoat on some parts of the boat but not sure how it would look on the entire cabin side. Also not sure if undercoat provides adequate protection but you could always put a final undercoat over a few coats of gloss. Do Craftmaster mix undercoat in any required colour????

I do like the red oxide look as used on many Northwich Traders etc but not sure it would work for us as we are not really "tug" style.

.............Dave

That's interesting. I hate that mirror-shiny gloss look that modern paints give you.

My goal in painting is for it to look weathered, ten years old and slightly matt as soon as it's dry.

Is there a recognised way to achieve this effect?!

MtB

P.S. Other than waiting for ten years, obviously biggrin.png

Yup - get a cheap scotching job!

• 1 month later...

Sorry to add to an old thread but

On Sunday I was top coating boat in the heat of the sun ( no choice) the paint wasn't flowing very well. I put some linseed oil in the paint, a small cup into about 2 and a half litres of paint. Worked a treat! Paint went on much better.

Maybe it will all come off soon and then I will cry...