Morse throttle cable changing

Featured Posts

I wonder if someone could help me? I manage a trip boat for a canal restoration org and the morse throttle cable has given out today. We've got the cable out and identified a replacement, but I'm unsure about one thing. On the end that fits in to the control lever, there's a red plastic widget with THROTTLE on it. This doesn't appear to be part of the new cable (this is new to me in case you hadn't realised!) this plastic widget locates in to the lever assembly and holds everything in the right position.

It seems to be fastened on the cable with a metal "band" which threads through the widget, presumably around something on the cable. The question is, is it just a case of removing the metal band (unbending it?) to slide the red plastic hubbies off and revering the procedure to fit it on the new cable?

Any help appreciated before I go out tomorrow to get a new cable.

Thanks.

I wonder if someone could help me? I manage a trip boat for a canal restoration org and the morse throttle cable has given out today. We've got the cable out and identified a replacement, but I'm unsure about one thing. On the end that fits in to the control lever, there's a red plastic widget with THROTTLE on it. This doesn't appear to be part of the new cable (this is new to me in case you hadn't realised!) this plastic widget locates in to the lever assembly and holds everything in the right position.

It seems to be fastened on the cable with a metal "band" which threads through the widget, presumably around something on the cable. The question is, is it just a case of removing the metal band (unbending it?) to slide the red plastic hubbies off and revering the procedure to fit it on the new cable?

Any help appreciated before I go out tomorrow to get a new cable.

Thanks.

Faced with the same situation but having bought the cable already and left the chandlery far behind I bent the metal band open and reused the old part. In hindsight I would have asked at the chandlery whether it was possible to buy a new "widget" just in case the metal band was being bent one too many times.

Hi Jan... I'm off down to Willington shortly to get a replacement cable then press-ganging my lad in for an extra pair of hands to refit it. If I get it done, I'll take Hugh for a quick spin between the two winding holes at Kiveton just to check everything's ok before we need it again for trips next weekend :-)

Now all fixed. The red widget was a surprise to the guys in the chandlery as well, but as suggested by peter n, it was a case of bending the brass band open, sliding the red widget off. The rubber seals and locknut also had to be removed from the lever end before it could be put on.

Other than that, not as bad a job as I'd anticipated. Well, the boat still works and we have engine revs so it must be better than it was :-)