Mud Weight

TeeELL

Featured Posts

This discussion leaves me thinking. I have a substantial Danforth anchor which I will always have handy on rivers in case of emergency but it seems to me that a mud weight would be a useful thing to have as well. Do you use them with just rope or is a chain advisable?

Nick

Edited by Theo

I would guess that just rope ( of the correct size) would be OK, a chain is only used on an anchor so that it will bite into the bed of the river.

I stand to be corrected though :D

On the Norfolk Broads all boats (even the biggest) carry mudweights to hold position in open water - it's the only thing they carry as far as I know - and a rope is used to secure the weight to the boat - no chains

On the Norfolk Broads all boats (even the biggest) carry mudweights to hold position in open water - it's the only thing they carry as far as I know - and a rope is used to secure the weight to the boat - no chains

I must admit that I hadn't come across the concept before but it does seem to be a sensible thing to carry - probably easier to retrive than an anchor. Just watch the price of 56 lb weights on eBay go through the roof now . . .

I must admit that I hadn't come across the concept before but it does seem to be a sensible thing to carry - probably easier to retrive than an anchor. Just watch the price of 56 lb weights on eBay go through the roof now . . .

I guess you need to be careful about exactly how mudweights work

The bottom of the broads is very soft and silty - from what I've seen when lifting the mudweights they sink quite a long way into the mud and that, combined with their weight holds them in position

if the bottom of canals is the same they should work exactly the same but I don't know much about canals

Any thoughts

I guess you need to be careful about exactly how mudweights work

The bottom of the broads is very soft and silty - from what I've seen when lifting the mudweights they sink quite a long way into the mud and that, combined with their weight holds them in position

if the bottom of canals is the same they should work exactly the same but I don't know much about canals

Any thoughts

If anyone was ever to considering anchoring their boat in a canal then a mudweight would be the only option. Anchors will dig into the canal bed and damage the puddle lining.

If anyone was ever to considering anchoring their boat in a canal then a mudweight would be the only option. Anchors will dig into the canal bed and damage the puddle lining.

Good thought!

N

Good point!

And, having fallen in more than once I can vouch that the stuff on the bottom of the canal is firstly not very far down, and secondly, not very nice!

We usually keep our anchor in the bottom of the chain locker when on the canals and it only come out on rivers and tidal waters. But on rivers, a mud weight would be a very useful alternative or supplement to the anchor.

This is one of the nice things about this forum - lots of good ideas and sensible practices get aired that might never be learned when we are boating on our own . . .

Good point!

And, having fallen in more than once I can vouch that the stuff on the bottom of the canal is firstly not very far down, and secondly, not very nice!

We usually keep our anchor in the bottom of the chain locker when on the canals and it only come out on rivers and tidal waters. But on rivers, a mud weight would be a very useful alternative or supplement to the anchor.

This is one of the nice things about this forum - lots of good ideas and sensible practices get aired that might never be learned when we are boating on our own . . .

I do agree. A thoroughly nice place to be!

N

We dont use our mud wieght often (although slightly more frequently than the anchor) and when we do, we just use it by tieing it onto the end of the aft/bow warp and chucking overbaord.

Otherwise, we have lots of other rope onboard, 2/3 large hanks of 10/15mm polyprop for odd jobs, and about 100m of unused 22mm polyester in the front bedroom, which could always be pressed into service if needed.

But it is deffonatly a usefull asset.

- Infact, the only time i can actually recall my grandad mentioning using the anchor was as a mud wieght!

- Left in the middle rather uninviting streach of towpath, on his own, on a wideish section of canal, he decided to 'anchor' on the offside.

- H used the anchor, tied up with string, to act a mudweight at the bow, and then the mudweight to hold the stern and stop him driffting diagonaly.

Appenrlty it worked a treat! Bizzare bloke.

Daniel