Jotun Paint and Owatrol?

Featured Posts

Hi All,

I'm about to start painting with Jotun paints. Everyone I've spoken to suggests using Owatrol paint conditioner to get a better finish, however when I spoke to the helpline they advised against it, saying it will go on fine as is (although it's probably what all paint manufacturers say) and said to just use thinners instead, if anything.

Does anyone have any experience of using these 2 products together?

Thanks

Steve

Hi All,

I'm about to start painting with Jotun paints. Everyone I've spoken to suggests using Owatrol paint conditioner to get a better finish, however when I spoke to the helpline they advised against it, saying it will go on fine as is (although it's probably what all paint manufacturers say) and said to just use thinners instead, if anything.

Does anyone have any experience of using these 2 products together?

Thanks

Steve

Owatrol oil is ok with any "white spirit based" paint if that is what you are using. I think you'll find most pros use some sort of paint conditioner, and I doubt there is a signwriter anywhere in the country who doesn't use Owatrol or something very similar. Draw your own conclusions.

Thanks Neil,

Someone had mentioned the white spirit thing before, but everything I look at seems to have its own special thinners (i.e. Thinners No1, 2, 7 etc) or are these just fancy rebranded names for white spirit anyway? (I've never used anything except typical household paint before, in case you hadn't guessed!)

I'd stick to the Jotun's advice. They are professionals and there's no point in asking their opininion then ignoring it.

I have used Owatrol to help the paint flow in cold conditions.

It smells like linseed oil which traditional decorators sometimes add to help the paint flow.