Dab radio inside narrowboat

b0atman

Featured Posts

We took one of our Dabs to the boat. It would not work at all inside. Stick with conventional radios.

I disagree. I have 2 DAB radios on my boat, both of which have external mag-mount antennas. One of my radios has the option of being used on DAB or conventional but without the external antenna it doesn't work on either, so for me there's no real advantage or disadvantage of either system. Use whatever you want.

Edited by blackrose

Some DAB radios will work on much weaker signals than older sets. I've been impressed with a Roberts Ecologic which is pretty good (in the house, weak signal area, not tried on boat) as well as being very good on battery life. Edit - no provision for external DC supply, so not great for boats.

In our boat (portholes only) we have an external mag mount aerial plugged into the F socket which was actually buried inside the case of the set (TEAC RX1, which is not very sensitive), works pretty well.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

We have a Logik DAB radio (it has a docking station for and IPOD/IPHONE in the top of it), on our boat, and it works fine anywhere on the boat.

It started life in the living area, and has now found a new home on Dave's bedside table. We have large windows, but the radio is not placed in front of a window, nor is the extended aerial in front of a window.

It has not let us down, even when we are moored up somewhere without a wifi signal. No wiry bits running from the radio to the roof or outside.

We have a car DAB radio fitted (Sony I think, can't remember now) with the aerial as supplied stuck on the inside of the saloon window just above it and earthed to the window frame.

Works a dream!

ETA - also brilliant for playing music from iPod through USB and charging phones.

Edited by lockedout

Many areas, e.g. Pewsey, Wilts., still have very poor FM let alone DAB radio. Otherwise, I have known a length of wire connected to the aerial and run outside to provide an adequate signal.

I use a small 7", digital TV with an external TV aerial to receive digital radio. It consumes less current (~1A) than my 'car radio' at minimum volume and much less than my 'portable' Hitachi DAB radio. This 7" TV can also record TV programmes to a USB stick; maybe it can also record digital radio programmes?

Alan

Had a Pure DAB radio which I used at home, with a Roberts FM on the boat.

Could never get the FM working inside the boat, so swapped it over with the Pure and got one of these

Haven't looked back. Works perfectly, inside the boat, 95% of the time