Dates in The George & The Mary

fittie

Featured Posts

In the G & M there are several dates for the boats

eg Lancing has the date 22.07.36 and it also has the date on page 43 (new edition) 38 motors ... 08.08.36

what are these dates?

Cheers,

In the newer book, you will find the explanation at the head of the columns. So for LANCING the date 22.07.36 is when it was built; 22nd July 1936. (though on page 43 it states 08 08 36, which may have been when it was delivered). Registered at Rickmansworth (Rk) fleet number 88 on 11 August 1936, and the gauging number 12574 on 28 August 1936, paired with the butty fleet number 299 LANGHO. It is not necessarily the butty it might have worked with, but that was what was intended at build date.

Edited by Derek R.

In the G & M there are several dates for the boats

eg Lancing has the date 22.07.36 and it also has the date on page 43 (new edition) 38 motors ... 08.08.36

what are these dates?

Cheers,

I do not have a copy of the latest version of The George & The Mary, but I have handled many of the original documents relating to this fleet.

In LANCING's case 22 July 1936 is the date that the Grand Union Canal Carrying Co. Ltd. took delivery from its builder, W.J. Yarwood & Sons Ltd., Northwich (there is sometimes a difference of one day for the delivery dates depending on whether the documents are 'Yarwoods' or G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd.).

I am unable to comment on the date you quote of 08 August 1936, especially if it relates to all 38 Large Northwich motors.

edit - I am able to confirm that 08 August 1936 was a Saturday, and that there were no health registrations or gaugings carried out on this date - not for this fleet, or anywhere else for that matter captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison