anchor in the canal

Featured Posts

I am going to the anderton boat lift this week, Been told when you go into the river i will need a anchor because if i breakdown i will drift fast, i have a 47ft boat and i got a 15lb anchor will this do the job please.

ps i was told many years ago you should never use a anchor in the canal, is this right?

adam the wanderer, on 27 Jun 2014 - 3:20 PM, said:adam the wanderer, on 27 Jun 2014 - 3:20 PM, said:

I am going to the anderton boat lift this week, Been told when you go into the river i will need a anchor because if i breakdown i will drift fast, i have a 47ft boat and i got a 15lb anchor will this do the job please.

ps i was told many years ago you should never use a anchor in the canal, is this right?

I believe the reason you shouldn't use an anchor on a canal (aside from it not usually being required anyway) is because of possible damage to the 'lining' or 'bed' which can lead to leaks ( I think)

ed. - off topic but there are a few sections where notices request you don't deploy an anchor on rivers too, one section from memory being a bit of the Soar where notices warn of power cables on or just under the river bed.

Edited by The Dog House

I suspect your anchor is fine for the Weaver. I doubt you will ever need an anchor on there, and have never been asked about same when going on. However, I think I am right in saying that "the rules" require an anchor.

I too have read/been told that anchors should not be used on canals. as Martin states, it can damage the lining. Some linings are now some sort of plastic membrane, such as on the Monty.

Edited by Guest

Hi ya,,

15llb is fairly light (imo) unless it's an new Generation Anchor like the Fortress type. But Even then I've got Two 20 KG Fortress Anchors, on my 41ft Boat. I don't know of where you speak, but is it a Fast flowing, or particularly Dangerous area ?.

Anchoring in a Canal, isn't a great idea I wouldn't have thought, Due mainly to the linings,,I tend to use a much Broader Blade Mud Weight for Still or Slow Flowing areas myself, But even this weighs some 25KG, it also acts as a Chum weight in addition to whatever Anchor I then choose to put on the end of it depending on bottom whilst at Sea, or anywhere else I cruise.

My Mud Weight Anchor

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wc75mrspi8wzoh9/IMAG0299.jpg

This is it in position ready to deploy to give some scale

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xgzqg6f75uiwwqs/IMAG0195.jpg

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

You're right - you should never use an anchor in a canal. (mudweights are the tool for this)

However, with regard to your 15lb anchor - (what type of anchor is it? Danforth/Fortress/Halls/Grapnel etc??)

15lb is, basically, so light, it wouldn't really stop a mosquito from taking off from a rum baba, - however, IF that's all you've got, you should put something like 10m of 8mm or 10mm chain on it, plus, if you have on, something like a mud weight halfway up the chain (Just to make sure that the chain is lying flat and keeps teh anchor on the bottom.) - and something like 10m of rope between you and the end of the chain.

I've never been on the Anderton lift, so really cannot comment on the flow - or habits, of the water round there - (hence I've restricted my reply to your anchor enquiry)

Edited by Grace & Favour

I didn't notice it was 15lb, being so used to Kg's now. If it is 15lbs then too light I fear. Still don't think you would ever need to deploy it on the Weaver though, but rules is rules. (The Llangollen branch has more flow on it.)

Thank you its a 15LBS PLOUGH ANCHOR SWMF i do have a big heavy chain on the anchor

Excellent - - (at least it's not a grapnel!)

If you've a mudweight you can link on to the chain to increase the drag weight that would do no harm at all.

And a rope from the chain to the boat, of course. (ideally - when deployed, as much of the chain as possible - or at least a goodly proportion - should be lying on the bottom - subject to the flow of the river, and the amount of space you have to move round on the mooring if wind changes etc)

If it is only 15lb thats 6.8kg. Even our lightweight cruiser has a bigger anchor than that at 10kg!!

I wouldn't risk the anchor in question (if it is 15lb) on a river with flow on it. With a chain on that anchor for the Weaver I don't see a problem. Just a wide and beautiful canal really.

Sorry no it is a raging river and I advise everybody to stay off it! smile.png

Edited by Guest

I wouldn't risk the anchor in question (if it is 15lb) on a river with flow on it. With a chain on that anchor for the Weaver I don't see a problem. Just a wide and beautiful canal really.

Sorry no it is a raging river and I advise everybody to stay off it! smile.png

Even so, If you are going to go to the effort of buying an anchor make it one that is useful for every eventuality. No point buying this one then finding out you need a bigger one at a later date.

Even so, If you are going to go to the effort of buying an anchor make it one that is useful for every eventuality. No point buying this one then finding out you need a bigger one at a later date.

Definitely, if going out to buy one, best buy a suitable one. I read it that the OP already had this Anchor though?

I do agree but hope i never use it Thank you

We all hope we never have to use the anchor (except cruisers and the like who anchor for fun), as it means we are in the sticky-stuff.

If you are relying on 'hope' then you'd best 'hope' that the boat doesnt go over the weir because your 'tooth-pick' wasn't big enough for the job.

Buy the biggest & best anchor you can handle - you may be on the Severn, Thames or Trent one day and if problems arise you'll be glad you bought the correct 'insurance'

If it does turn out to be 15kgs - then it is just about big enough for the job but very marginal for a 47 foot boat.

We all hope we never have to use the anchor (except cruisers and the like who anchor for fun), as it means we are in the sticky-stuff.

If you are relying on 'hope' then you'd best 'hope' that the boat doesnt go over the weir because your 'tooth-pick' wasn't big enough for the job.

Buy the biggest & best anchor you can handle - you may be on the Severn, Thames or Trent one day and if problems arise you'll be glad you bought the correct 'insurance'

If it does turn out to be 15kgs - then it is just about big enough for the job but very marginal for a 47 foot boat.

can a narrowboat go over a weir when it is not flooded?

can a narrowboat go over a weir when it is not flooded?

Probably not, how ever I wouldn't like to test it out.

Besides being hung up on on a weir is not really a place you want to spend an afternoon, is it?

If it's lost propulsion, and is left to go with the flow, with no way of arrest, then Up to & On to the weir is very probable, over the weir possible.

But both recommended to be avoided.

This boat Lost Propulsion / Stearage, and couldn't let go the Anchors Quickly enough to arrest drift.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8wbijj7aso1x2f/_54661113_mungo_stuck11.jpg

(Picture from local papar)

It went from making way all good, To being stuck fast in about 3 minutes, & on a falling tide a few yards from my mooring.

If happend further up river, it could have took out Rows of moored craft.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

If it's lost propulsion, and is left to go with the flow, with no way of arrest, then Up to & On to the weir is very probable, over the weir possible.

But both recommended to be avoided.

This boat Lost Propulsion / Stearage, and couldn't let go the Anchors Quickly enough to arrest drift.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8wbijj7aso1x2f/_54661113_mungo_stuck11.jpg

(Picture from local papar)

It went from making way all good, To being stuck fast in about 3 minutes, & on a falling tide a few yards from my mooring.

If happend further up river, it could have took out Rows of moored craft.

thanks paul i could of sold him my anchor lol