BMC 1.5 Crankshaft Bolt

MrC

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

The pressure will not matter unless you are running it hard. It is pressurized to prevent localized boiling. On most marinised 1.5s the pressure was governed by the strength of the rubber end caps on the manifold cum header tank so would typically be about 6 PSI. If your manifold is all metal I can't see why you need to change the pressure cap.

Thanks for the reply and the issue is that I don't know what the pressure of the new cap is, because although there is a Beta part number on it, there is no obvious pressure. The old cap was broken, but I would like to know what the text book answer is, cos it's sometimes a good idea with an old defective engine to keep the cooling system pressure on the low side, although not low enough to cause a local boiling issue. That way the hoses and end caps, (If it's not a keel cooled version), last longer and with some engines it reduces the coolant in the oil contamination rate, although if your HG is iffy, using filtered rain water and soluble oil, (Cheap machine oil), makes a big difference, as water in the oil is far less problematic than anti freeze, which directly attacks the anti wear layer and additives in the oil causing a serious increase in wear rates. If an engine has a turbo the bearings will chewed up very quickly by an oil with glycol in it. So is a cap of only 6 PSI OK with water and high power ?? 

Does anyone have a direct number for the senior engineer at Calcutt, as they do sell second hand parts, also I need to know the correct name of the plate. I suppose manifold area cooling box top plate or something. The Morris parts book will have it in the list, but it's a real time consuming PITA to read if the part is not in a main diagram.

Once the engine is sold I'm willing to post a set of parts numbers and diagrams to you Tony, as I won't need one set I have. The Morris book will be sold with the engine. If you have a BMC, it makes finding parts far easier if you know the BL part number, as there are a number of good classic car parts companies that only sell to folks that know which part number is involved.

Just looked at the pressure cap and it is indeed the same as the original in pressure terms, as it is marked 95Kpa, which is 14 PSI, and that is high enough to make a leak from the keel cooling hoses, cooling plate or tubes more likely. 

On 08/04/2022 at 20:59, TNLI said:

YES, I WON !!

BMC Morris J2 /152 Light van pick up minibus Service Parts list AAK 9873

See original listing
BMC Morris J2 /152 Light van pick up minibus Service Parts list AAK 9873
Item Ended

Condition:

OK, that book is being included with the engine sale, but if Tony wants to PM me his address, I will post a copy of the BL lightweight Tractor Range booklet that covers the parts list for a variety of BMC engines. I've just removed the BMC 1500 pages and binned the rest. It would make sense if those pages were on the BMC page, as it makes finiding parts much easier. The pressure cap fitting damage has been repaired by the local Beta dealer.

Just now, Lifeboat Elsie May said:

OK, that book is being included with the engine sale, but if Tony wants to PM me his address, I will post a copy of the BL lightweight Tractor Range booklet that covers the parts list for a variety of BMC engines. I've just removed the BMC 1500 pages and binned the rest. It would make sense if those pages were on the BMC page, as it makes finiding parts much easier. The pressure cap fitting damage has been repaired by the local Beta dealer.

Thanks, but no thanks. I am too old to gather any more reference materials.

Anyone Else interested in scanning the documnts too this forum then PM me, although it would be good if it was one of the regulars.

Picture of my old restored BMC 1500D on a pallet ready for pick up, along with the PRM 100. The radiator on the left will be used for a new Beta 30, along with a 1m square cooling plate inside the alloy hull. 

Engine and pallet inside garage .jpg

Edited by Lifeboat Elsie May