BMC 1.5 Crankshaft Bolt

MrC

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Troyboy said:

Just looked on Ebay and there is a BMC J2 parts list albeit with the publication  number AAK 9873 with a starting price of £9-99p plus £3-99 postage,  that currently has received no bids . The item number is 115323267909. . 

Thanks for that, and that might be a better way to go, as the parts catalogue for the tractor range has too many other engine types in it and does not group them together, so I've torn mine apart to put all of the 1.5D pages in sequence. 

On 02/04/2022 at 21:58, Troyboy said:

Just looked on Ebay and there is a BMC J2 parts list albeit with the publication  number AAK 9873 with a starting price of £9-99p plus £3-99 postage,  that currently has received no bids . The item number is 115323267909. . 

YES, I WON !!

BMC Morris J2 /152 Light van pick up minibus Service Parts list AAK 9873

See original listing
Item Ended

Condition:

2 minutes ago, TNLI said:

YES, I WON !!

See original listing
Item Ended

Condition:

Bugger, I woke up the kraken!

Do us all a favour,  scan and publish it here please. It will be the best thing you have ever done and be much appreciated.  Fame at last.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

23 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Bugger, I woke up the kraken!

Do us all a favour,  scan and publish it here please. It will be the best thing you have ever done and be much appreciated.  Fame at last.

Alas I can't get my fathers PC to accept scans from his printer scanner. Assuming the seller does not cancel the deal after only getting a tenner plus postage, I will copy the relevant parts list, as it includes 3 different engines. 

J2 - 152 Omin (austinmemories.com)

Diesel
1,498 cc 40 bhp at 4,000 rpm Max torque 64 lbs/ft at 1,900 rpm

Not sure if the 35hp marine version loss is due to the different CAV DPA fuel injection pump, bigger flywheel or different gearbox. 

Edited by TNLI

59 minutes ago, TNLI said:

Alas I can't get my fathers PC to accept scans from his printer scanner. Assuming the seller does not cancel the deal after only getting a tenner plus postage, I will copy the relevant parts list, as it includes 3 different engines. 

J2 - 152 Omin (austinmemories.com)

Diesel
1,498 cc 40 bhp at 4,000 rpm Max torque 64 lbs/ft at 1,900 rpm

Not sure if the 35hp marine version loss is due to the different CAV DPA fuel injection pump, bigger flywheel or different gearbox. 

Are the scanner and the PC on Wi-Fi? If so you should be able to get the pass.

The marine engines are never intended to get to 4K rpm hence the difference.

33 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Are the scanner and the PC on Wi-Fi? If so you should be able to get the pass.

The marine engines are never intended to get to 4K rpm hence the difference.

So that reduction is due to the different HP pump I presume ??

My scanner printer is hard wired cos the WiFi connection kept needing to be rebooted.

Edited by TNLI

40 minutes ago, Troyboy said:

Well done, you will now have all the part numbers  and exploded diagrams for the 1500 and 1622cc  petrol engines plus the1500 cc diesel . 

I got lucky because the way it was listed it would not have been seen by any BMC parts hunters, and it's a bad idea to put a rare item that not many buyers are looking for in an auction. The best way to sell it is fixed price but open to offers. 

8 hours ago, TNLI said:

So that reduction is due to the different HP pump I presume ??

My scanner printer is hard wired cos the WiFi connection kept needing to be rebooted.

No, same pump, different maximum fuel setting. On a DPA the maximum fuel setting is done by lifting the outward movement of the paired high pressure plungers so they have a lower volume per stroke. That is not the maximum speed setting that may also be set lower on marine DPAs. That is just done by the maximum speed stop screw on the pump's throttle lever stop.

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

No, same pump, different maximum fuel setting. On a DPA the maximum fuel setting is done by lifting the outward movement of the paired high pressure plungers so they have a lower volume per stroke. That is not the maximum speed setting that may also be set lower on marine DPAs. That is just done by the maximum speed stop screw on the pump's throttle lever stop.

Thanks, so am I right to think that it can be adjusted with one screw, or do you need to adjust both settings to avoid a wrong mixture issue ?? I have vague memories of a trip with an uncle nearly sixty years ago along the lower grand union canal and he was an expert marine engineer, as he fiddled with something on the Perkins that made the hired canal boat go faster. Some of the folks fishing or walking along the banks started shouting insults about the bow wave sweeping along the bank.

Ever since about the late 1950 it has been impossible to get "the wrong mixture" into a diesel. All diesels are now quality controlled rather than quality control (mixture control) used on petrol engines and some old diesels with a throttle butterfly. If you feed too much fuel into a diesel the engine will just rev up until the governor reduces the amount of fuel delivered. In theory a modern diesel should not be able to make black smoke because rather than that it should just rev itself up. However holding the engine speed down by external means or at low seed in a direct injected engine is likely to result in insufficient swirl in the cylinder to get all the available oxygen into contact with the fuel droplets so you may get black smoke. This has nothing to do with the "mixture" or the amount of fuel injected. Poor injectors and other external factors can and do make black smoke.

I would expect the pump re-builder to set the maximum throw on the plungers and also to set the maximum fuel delivered by adjusting the maximum speed stop on the pump speed lever. Then they should fit a tamper proof cap and seal.  If a boater has good reason (like we did on the hire fleet where we set the maximum speed much lower than normal) there is no reason not to  remove the cap & seal and set the speed down but it should never be increased unless you want to break the engine.

I suspect the 35 v 40 bhp is related to the power at the time limited top speed and the power at the continuous top speed. In any case a displacement boat is likely to be propped for maximum torque, not maximum speed so as maximum torque occurs at below maximum speed you lose some bhp there.

I don't think you need to do anything to the pump apart from fit it. You would be wise to check the maximum speed the stop screw has been set to but it is a bit of a but clenching moment when you take the engine up to the maximum seed shown in the manual. I think it was 4400 but some say 4000 rpm. The use the stop to set your preferred maximum speed if you wish.

• 4 months later...

Anyone know the torque figures for the flywheel of a BMC 1500D ?? The less than useful company that did the bottom end job were too busy to refit it. I've also got to put the front pulley and starter motor back on, so if there is anything odd about either job, please post details.

Oddly I cannot find the torque settings that BMC recommended but the list here 

https://www.engineersedge.com/hardware/torque_for_hexagon_head_screws_13479.htm

Gives the settings by bolt diameter for UNF threads and seem to be about what I would expect.

Hope this helps.  

Edited by Tracy D'arth
  • Greenie 1

47 minutes ago, Lifeboat Elsie May said:

Anyone know the torque figures for the flywheel of a BMC 1500D ?? The less than useful company that did the bottom end job were too busy to refit it. I've also got to put the front pulley and starter motor back on, so if there is anything odd about either job, please post details.

Workshop manual refers to flywheel nuts and shows 35 lb feet as the torque setting.

• Love 1

22 minutes ago, Troyboy said:

Sorry I should have typed 37 lbs feet NOT 35

Thanks, finally found the page in the manual and it does say 37 lbs. I must say you chaps are good at fast answers.

Just a quick update, after all the pain and effort of sorting out a new pre abused BMC, by sister and father agreed I should have a new engine due to inheretance tax issues. So I've got a list of folks trying to buy my old BMC after I listed it on Fleabay, Appollo Duck, and Farcebook Marketplace. I did put it on Gumtree for a while, but the deal came through Marketplace and it gets picked up at the end of the month. I get to keep the PRM 100. Not sure if it's worth much, but I've seen one for 500 quid, so will start high and accept offers. 

The new Engine is a smaller lighter Beta Marine 30, with keel cooling and a shallow sump option. I've paid the deposit but will have to wait until November before it's delivered. Long term plan is to fit a 5kW 48V DC motor, (Probably a Thunderstruck one), just aft of the flexible coupling that has a regen drive capability to charge 4 bigish 12V Bosch deep cycle jobs, or possibly 4 Sterling LiPO4 12V batteries of 100Ah. Not decided yet as the Li batteries are a tad expensive at 500 quid for one. 

When I finish I should have around 500kW of solar power, but the jury is still out about a small air cooled diesel gen set in the forward survivors/storage cabin.

I've already finished collecting good used anchors, with a 15lb genuine CQR, steel Danforth, small baby Bruce of 2kg and a 4.5 lb Fishermans anchor. 2 all chain rodes of 50 mtrs each and 2 100ft lines for the other anchors. 

Lifeboat pub flags.jpg

Foundry Arms UK flag.jpg

So this new member is a sock puppet of Liquid Molly.

A re-incarnation of TNLI, I know that discourse on Vaseline would fetch him out into the open.

I do hope that he will not start passing duff info again like he did before.

Are you hiding from us Molly?

So the wonder vessel is still in the pub car park without an engine?

Edited by Tracy D'arth

17 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Half a MegaWatt of Solar?

In my dreams, so I think it might be 500W. The chap acroos the street from me has a big RV with 2kW, and If I went nuts I might manage 1kW, BUT I don't like using walk on panels, even if they say they are bomb proof. 

Long live King Charles!

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/09/2022 at 18:27, StephenA said:

Half a MegaWatt of Solar?

Mine Gott, no idea where the k came from!

Anyway, I've a swift question, what pressure should the coolant tank pressure cap run at ??  The old cap says 15lbs, but one of the previous owners might have fitted the wrong cap for a keel cooled engine. I seem to recall that the pressure is different for a keel cooled and a heater exchanger version.  Peeved the bottom end rebuild company employed the B team to fit the rocker cover, as it's missing the 2 cup washers which are the same diameter as the rubber bushes that have been forked up.

Split washer (1).jpg

Sorry, forgot to say it's a keel cooled early model BMC 1500D that I'm selling once I've sorted out a few items that were damaged whilst the engine was in the queue, (Nearly 3 months), for the crankshaft to be checked, reground and polished. The picture below was a real big fork up, as something heavy was dropped onto the coolant box cover, hitting the pressure cap. Can't figure out what the pressure cap fitting below the cap is made of, as it might be possible to MIG or TIG weld it to the cover if I can't find a good used cover. The original broken radiator 15lb rated cap is at the top of the picture of the parts that were changed during the full bottom end job, although the special main bearing bolts were binned. All of them were in OK but not new condition. The new cap was from Beta Marine, the very folks who I've ordered a new 30hp keel cooled diesel from.

So, which company other than Calcutt do you think might have the top cover plate ?? Also it's not in my parts catalogue list or pictures, so what is the correct name for that cover and pressure cap fitting ??

Top cap side view (2).jpg

Misc fittings.jpg

The pressure will not matter unless you are running it hard. It is pressurized to prevent localized boiling. On most marinised 1.5s the pressure was governed by the strength of the rubber end caps on the manifold cum header tank so would typically be about 6 PSI. If your manifold is all metal I can't see why you need to change the pressure cap.