Fazeley or Fenny Compton

Big Bob W

Featured Posts

Hi All

I'm just after some opinions.

We are hiring a boat from near Newbold on the Oxford Canal in a few weeks time for a 5 day mid week break. We have decided on a choice of 2 routes, either north and on to the Coventry towards Fazeley, or south to Fenny Compton. Appreciate any advice on the route choice!

Thanks

Edited by Big Bob W

Both the North Oxford and South Oxford are very pleasant and have their attractions. If you go North to Fazely you will go through about 14 locks, including the Atherstone flight. Also the possibility to go into Coventry Basin which is well worth a visit for some interesting sightseeing in Coventry itself. You can also take a diversion up the Ashby Canal which is a real gem IMHO. A slight disadvantage is you are very close the West Coast Mainline railway for part of the way, but it's not too intrusive. If the weather is not great you have more options for sightseeing.

If you choose South to Fenny Compton you have a few less locks, just Hillmorton flight and Napton. Braunston is well worth a visit. If the weather isn't too great alternative options are limited.

My preference would be North to Fazely.

Ken

Both the North Oxford and South Oxford are very pleasant and have their attractions. If you go North to Fazely you will go through about 14 locks, including the Atherstone flight. Also the possibility to go into Coventry Basin which is well worth a visit for some interesting sightseeing in Coventry itself. You can also take a diversion up the Ashby Canal which is a real gem IMHO. A slight disadvantage is you are very close the West Coast Mainline railway for part of the way, but it's not too intrusive. If the weather is not great you have more options for sightseeing.

If you choose South to Fenny Compton you have a few less locks, just Hillmorton flight and Napton. Braunston is well worth a visit. If the weather isn't too great alternative options are limited.

My preference would be North to Fazely.

Ken

Never been to Fenny Compton yet, but agree with every word you say about Fazely. On there now and loving it, onto the Ashby sometime tomorrowish. Locks are fine and railway not so bad. Beautiful scenery and good places to get supplies. Not going to Coventry this time due to time limits, save that for next year :)

The South Oxford is shallow on the top pound and this needs to be factored in. It can also be extremely busy round the time of the Cropredy Festival with long queues at the locks. From Marston Doles (Napton Top) to Fenny Compton is about 3 hours. Progress can appear to be slow due to it being a contour canal: you'll get to see the radio mast from all quarters of the boat! Some of the corners are almost right angles and this can catch you out, especially it you're in a hurry. In the autumn we recon about 10 hours from Fenny to Braunston. In the summer when the canal is busier then it can take a lot longer due to moored boats and boats waiting at locks.

It's a pretty section however pubs are few and far between. After Braunston you get the next ones at Napton, then it's Fenny.

I have done both routes several times and to me it's a no-contest. The North Oxford, though leafy much of the way except through part of Rugby, can be boring because it was straightened out - much of its interest lies in spotting the disused curly bits! The South Oxford is very wiggly but beautiful. Cropredy is indeed chocker in the first two weeks of August, but as you are not planning to go that far it should not bother you - and as all the boats will be at the festival, they will not be queuing at the locks further North.

Go South young man!

Thanks for your advice!

I think we will probably try the trip up the Coventry. I did notice the railway running pretty close for much of the journey, but looks like its not much of an issue. It's a part of the system we have not visited before.

Maybe a quick visit up the Ashby canal on the way back down if time permits.

Mind you, after saying that, we'll probably end up in Fenny Compton!!

Could always just wait and see which way the boat is pointing when we pick it up!

It's a pretty section however pubs are few and far between. After Braunston you get the next ones at Napton, then it's Fenny.

Next time you do it - I would suggest mooring between bridges 103 & 102 and walk the short distance (either via the road or Bridleway) to the 'Old Olive Bush' at Flecknoe. Top pub, good food, great beer and no mooring issues. Whenever we do that route we always bypass either Braunston or Napton (depending on direction) and are pretty much guaranteed a mooring (relative to either Braunston or Napton), good food and drink, with a a good walk and scenery to boot!

Edited by Orca