How to get rid of the smell of diesel

Featured Posts

Help please guys,

Had an engineer replace my engine a few weeks back and accidentally left the tap for the diesel on overnight so some drained into the engine bay. Its been washed out but the smell of diesel is still very strong inside the boat.

What is the best way to get rid of the smell inside? and should I clean the engine bay with anything special?? (Bildge cleaner etc??)

Think it needs sorting asap as a friend came round to visit and had to leave after an hour as complaining of headache from the diesel fumes, what is it doing to me sleeping in the fumes!!

I had that problem at my last BSS test when I had to replace the flexible fuel hoses. Liberal amount of cat litter in the bilge and plenty of ventilation through the boat cured it overnight

Edited by robgriff1954

Soak up any obvious pools of diesel with absorbent mats, Isol8 or paper rolls (don't use chalk based cat litter)

Then

either give a thorough wash down with a de-greaser like Gunk or Jizer, and wash with soapy water afterwards

or

If there's not too much diesel - wipe over thoroughly with rags/paper towels soaked in Meths. (Avoid naked flames during this process!!!)

Thanks guys I have will have a go at washing it down with a de-greaser I have ventilated the boat a couple of times and still there so think need to clean it thoroughly and then fingers crossed!! or will be weaving along the cut wink.png