Oak Wood Graining

Featured Posts

Don't know if true or not but my old Dad used to reckon that the grain patterns in English oak were better than imported wood but that it was harder to work

That's what my cabinet making cousin told me and I have found it to be true. Japanese oak is easy work, American oak works well but English oak is best suited to being worked green for timber framed house restoration and such. It wrecks your tools too 'cause it's acidic.

Edit to get back on topic. That is some quality work.

Edited by Taslim

That's what my cabinet making cousin told me and I have found it to be true. Japanese oak is easy work, American oak works well but English oak is best suited to being worked green for timber framed house restoration and such. It wrecks your tools too 'cause it's acidic.

Presumably these are different species

I suppose I could google that

Richard

Presumably these are different species

I suppose I could google that

Richard

You are probably right (not unusual as I understand).

I'll ask my cuzz. The crain is different, though not much, and I wonder if, assuming they are the same species climate matters. Don't fit your boat with South African pine.

Rats! 'Pushed wrong button. There are a number of 'native' species of Oak.

Edited by Taslim