Honda Eu20i shore power connection query

KJT

Featured Posts

Anyway, I am not sure I agree that the Victron is clever enough to sense that it is a floating genny input connected to its input and hence decides to operate the NE relay. That would blow up any device that, say, had a centre tapped output such as a TravelPower.

If the relay operated in the OPs case the "reverse polarity" light would not be on (since this just detects voltage between N and E).

So if it were me, and presuming the genny has a fully floating output, I would make up a dedicated genny to shore connector lead that has the NE bond built in. I don't see how else it could be done.

Thanks Nick.

It seems most people I have spoken to, when connecting a genny such as the Honda to the shore power socket, make up a dedicated lead as you suggest. I think that's what I will do, but as I know very little about 240v I will leave it to my tame expert to check out my system and make an appropriate lead.

Ken

Ken

The Victron is very clever, when the inverter is supplying power to the boat (from your batteries) for safety reasons it connects neutral and earth (bond).

When the Victon is supply the power from the shoreline, it is not really it is the shoreline supplying the power, it disconnects the neutral earth bond.

If you supply the Victron from a generator it will keep the neutral earth bond but the generator must be connected to the correct terminals.

All this is to keep you and others safe and ensure all safety devices (fuses, breakers) work.

Perhaps Paul G2 was a little harsh but electricity kills and he just wanted to ensure you do it right.

Dave C work around is the way most people do it, personally I would not.

Your choice.

I agree with Nick and think you may have that wrong Bottle. The Victron Multiplus has two AC outputs (one as pass through without inverter) but only one AC input. Consequently a generator feeding it is treated the same as shore power. Furthermore the grounding relay which optionally (it can be turned off) provides neutral/earth bonding when inverter is in operation, only works when pass-through relay is open - i.e. no AC input.

Thanks Richard

So if I just use the genny for battery charging only and don't use any 240v equipment on board whilst the genny is connected and running I should be alright? Or is that an over simplification?

If I wish to run any high current equipment such as the washing machine I would use the built in 3.5kva diesel genny anyway. It's just that with the solar panels keeping the batteries quite well up I find that when I run the diesel genny for battery charging it will start charging at about 100 amps then it quickly goes into absorption and then float mode so I end up running a large genny at maybe 20 amps or even less. It doesn't like running with a light load and starts to soot up. So a smaller genny such as the Honda, which runs on LPG, seems a better idea than running the large one for the little charging I need to do.

Cheers

Ken

Yes makes sense to run just a small genny rather than main engine or a larger built-in one.

I just have a Kipor suitcase genny for this reason, but use it to run anything its capable of, including my Sterling Combi and any device connected to its output. I'm aware that the RCD on Combi output won't offer full protection in this situation, but that's my choice.

Thanks Richard.

I feel more comfortable just running the genny for charging the batteries now and accept the 'correct/reverse polarity' as a normal consequence of the floating earth design of the genny.

Ken

• 1 year later...