Historic Working Boat DVD

Badger_1

Featured Posts

TIMBER FROM WISBECH DVD

Old archive waterway films are getting harder and harder to come by, and copyright laws make it virtually impossible to share these great films, that should be enjoyed by all who still wish to view them.

TIMBER FROM WISBECH is one such film. In July 1993 three pairs of narrow boats transported 100 tons of packaged timber the traditional way from the quayside at Wisbech to a timber factory at Kings Langley. They travelled up the tidal River Nene through to Northampton where they joined the Grand Union Canal for the final stage through Bilsworth Tunnel and south to Kings Langley.

The boats involved were Greyhound with Sunny Valley/Northolt, Clover with Fazeley and Archimedes with Brighton – all historic boats.

This rare 60 minute video has been converted to DVD to ensure it doesn’t disappear for ever and the quality is very, very good.

Enjoy the sound of historic Bolinder & Lister Engines whilst you watch a unique journey reminiscent of the canal carrying age.

A must for the canal enthusiast.

This DVD is available on ebay with a buy it now price of £7.99 which includes P&P and I can’t recommend it highly enough.

Take a look and judge for yourself. you decide if this great film is for you or not.

Please note the link below is now dead as Forum member carlt decided you weren't mature enough to decide for yourselves as to wether this dvd was suitable for you to purchase and has reported it to ebay. I'm sure you will all join me in welcoming carl as the newest moderator to the forum.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=120067035032

Edited by Badger_1

I have this video on VHS. Has the owner of the copyright released it on dvd or is it a pirate? Is the owner of the copyright benefiting from the sale of the dvd? I've seen the video still for sale at shows (and in marinas) so it doesn't appear to be in danger of extinction just yet. If the dvd is unconnected to the VHS version then this can only damage the income of the rightful owner of the copyright. In this tiny niche market this must have a bigger effect than taping take that's latest video off the telly. If it's all above board and the dosh is going into the right pocket then fair enough but why mention the copyright issue if this was the case.

I have this video on VHS. Has the owner of the copyright released it on dvd or is it a pirate? Is the owner of the copyright benefiting from the sale of the dvd? I've seen the video still for sale at shows (and in marinas) so it doesn't appear to be in danger of extinction just yet. If the dvd is unconnected to the VHS version then this can only damage the income of the rightful owner of the copyright. In this tiny niche market this must have a bigger effect than taping take that's latest video off the telly. If it's all above board and the dosh is going into the right pocket then fair enough but why mention the copyright issue if this was the case.

The latest information I have on this video is that it was withdrawn from sale because the original producers of it used the Captain Pugwash theme music several times during the editing and final release version of the film. The Pugwash theme tune is copyrighted and they did not have permission to use it. Therefore they were infact breaking copyright laws and if my information is correct then the VHS copies you have seen for sale are old stock which should have been destroyed.

In my opinion It would be a great shame if this film were to dissapear as it is a great film and of much interest to other fellow boaters. It has never been released on DVD and very few folk still bother with VHS tapes or indeed still have a VHS player.

Like I mentioned copyright laws are there for a reason and it is upto the concience of the individual as to whether he/she would like to purchase a copy. No one is making you and I have been as honest as I can with the description.

So, if it is you who is pirating this video, then you are breaking copyright laws twice. Once by copying the original filmmaker's material, and secondly by copying the captain pugwash theme. Two wrongs obviously making a right? If you feel so strongly that this video should be preserved, and don't just want to profit from someone elses efforts, make it freely available for downloading. Easy enough to do and whilst legally questionable, not so ethically wrong.

So, if it is you who is pirating this video, then you are breaking copyright laws twice. Once by copying the original filmmaker's material, and secondly by copying the captain pugwash theme. Two wrongs obviously making a right? If you feel so strongly that this video should be preserved, and don't just want to profit from someone elses efforts, make it freely available for downloading. Easy enough to do and whilst legally questionable, not so ethically wrong.

If I was pirating this video I would indeed be breaking a law and if I was failing to edit out the Pugwash theme I would be braking it twice and it would be quite right of the producer to take me to court. Thank you so much for assuming that I am without being in possesion of all the facts.

As for making it available to download for free - In an ideal World YES but I think its really sweet of you to be so naive. Perhaps if I ask nicely one day I might get something for free.

And as for ethics!!!!! Talk to BW about those.

Sorry if I'm wrong but the wording of your two previous posts implies copyright infringement. If you have the copyright owner's permission to reproduce the work then there is no issue.

As for naievety, if you ask any of the many wooden boat owners how much I charge to take my pumps and expertise and float them when they've sunk, they will all tell you: nothing but a bit of petrol money if they can afford it and a constant tea supply. If a thing is worth preserving then how can you charge if it means the lack of money will mean it's destruction?

If a thing is worth preserving then how can you charge if it means the lack of money will mean it's destruction?

The film is on VHS Tape. VHS is fast becoming extinct. The original producers have no intention of re-releasing it on DVD. As I stated the original was withdrawn from sale.

I cannot afford to offer it for free. Therfore either I or someone else will sell it or we lose it for good. If that happens DESTRUCTION!!!!

For every dozen who would be delighted at the opportunity to obtain a cheap copy of this film to enjoy, there will always be one vicar who will mount his soapbox and extort the values of rights and wrongs. Come on Down your Reverence The Price is Right

For every dozen who would be delighted at the opportunity to obtain a cheap copy of this film to enjoy, there will always be one vicar who will mount his soapbox and extort the values of rights and wrongs. Come on Down your Reverence The Price is Right

I made my point, as I'm entitled to do, without resorting to insults. If I believe stealing someone's intellectual property is a serious issue then I think I can point that out. You are advertising a product on this forum which infringes copyright laws (by your own admission) which is against the rules of the forum. I find your insults offensive and so this thread is no longer worth pursuing.

I made my point, as I'm entitled to do, without resorting to insults. If I believe stealing someone's intellectual property is a serious issue then I think I can point that out. You are advertising a product on this forum which infringes copyright laws (by your own admission) which is against the rules of the forum. I find your insults offensive and so this thread is no longer worth pursuing.

Shall I put you down for a copy then Carl or would you like more time to think about it?

And if I may correct you, I am not advertising a product on this forum I meerly posted a link to a product, as many others have done as recently as during the past week so it appears that is allowed.

I posted a link to enable forum users decide for themselves whether or not to purchase the product. They are not children and can decide for themselves.

If you'd like to post a topic on the rights and wrongs of copyright laws then please feel free to do so, but first ask yourself how many people can hold up there hands and say theyve never bought a copied DVD or Play station game on the cheap etc.

Can you Carl?????

I find your insults offensive and so this thread is no longer worth pursuing.

Was I insulting and offensive? Surely not. Sarcastic - perhaps, Patronising - Maybe, Humerous - who knows but insulting - never.

Please accept my sincere appologies for any offence caused Sir.

I don't own a playstation and all my dvds are bought on the high street, I am at the mercy of the retailer but I buy from reputable shops so I'm fairly confident I can answer yes.

You started the discussion by implying you are pirating dvd's and putting a link to the ebay advert. I just pointed out the fact that advertising (bringing a product to the attention of a potential purchaser) your wares was contrary to the rules of this forum, the fact that you admit to copyright infringement, against the law. All you can do is chuck insults about.

The rules and guidelines state:

'You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or you have the permission of the copyright owner. '

and

'Subject to the following conditions, no advertising of product, services, or anything else is permitted, either in posting or via private messaging. '

- The host may permit advertising to appear at his sole discretion.

I believe that you have broken these rules and, in trying to point this out to you, you have been insulting and offensive.

I don't own a playstation and all my dvds are bought on the high street, I am at the mercy of the retailer but I buy from reputable shops so I'm fairly confident I can answer yes.

You started the discussion by implying you are pirating dvd's and putting a link to the ebay advert. I just pointed out the fact that advertising (bringing a product to the attention of a potential purchaser) your wares was contrary to the rules of this forum, the fact that you admit to copyright infringement, against the law. All you can do is chuck insults about.

The rules and guidelines state:

'You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or you have the permission of the copyright owner. '

and

'Subject to the following conditions, no advertising of product, services, or anything else is permitted, either in posting or via private messaging. '

- The host may permit advertising to appear at his sole discretion.

I believe that you have broken these rules and, in trying to point this out to you, you have been insulting and offensive.

My appologies. I hadn't realised the Sherriff had appointed you his deputy resposible for upholding the moral highground. :D

Have I posted any copyright material that is not owned by myself? or without the permission of the copyright owner? As you are aware of the facts perhaps you can inform us all what evidence you actually have that I am doing anything that is against the rules of this forum.

If I am doing something wrong then I'm sure Jon will removed the post and I am more than happy to abide by his decision.

Just because one fellow forum member takes umbridge with something he doesnt agree with doesnt meen the original link is not of interest to other members. ;)

Edited by Badger_1

We all have a right to comment on what we believe is right or wrong, within the forum rules. You have infringed the rules and I have commented. I have no power to act on this forum other than to comment, without being abusive (or, quite frankly, silly). You appear to lack this ability. You completely lack any debating skills and, once proven wrong, you merely prove this with your petty insults.

We all have a right to comment on what we believe is right or wrong, within the forum rules. You have infringed the rules and I have commented. I have no power to act on this forum other than to comment, without being abusive (or, quite frankly, silly). You appear to lack this ability. You completely lack any debating skills and, once proven wrong, you merely prove this with your petty insults.

How offensive. ;)

Counterfeiting is a serious issue, especially when you are ripping off small producers who don't make much money any way. As you say, I can't prove anything so I've reported the items for sale to ebay and the content of this thread to the moderators.

Counterfeiting is a serious issue, especially when you are ripping off small producers who don't make much money any way. As you say, I can't prove anything so I've reported the items for sale to ebay and the content of this thread to the moderators.

Bet you were the boy that got picked on at school right?

bloody ell, what you two like!!! Get over to the virtual pub, chill out and have a beer ;):D

Please note the link in the original post is now dead as Forum member Carlt decided you weren't mature enough to decide for yourselves as to wether this dvd was suitable for you to purchase and has reported it to ebay. I'm sure you will all join me in welcoming carl as the newest moderator to the forum, and cogratulate him on his own self importance.

Edited by Badger_1