orange 3g data cards

pagan witch

Featured Posts

I have been using a 3g data card on Orange for a few months now and whilst it is indeed a brilliant product, in my view the best solution to internet access on boats there is a little problem I need some help on.

As, like many others in here, I live in an overgrown tin can, the signal inside the boat is woefull. The Orange card has a connection for an external aerial but Orange seem utterly incapable of supplying the aerial. I have troled the net, contacted no end of 'we are the best' phone companies and so far no joy.

If anyone knows of a supplier or has an aerial they wish to sell could they please reply to me at webmaster[at]canalpages.co.uk

Many thanks

Edit: I have removed the @ sign, as some spyware software hunts for addresses to spam by looking for published addresses - Jon

Edited by Jon

pagan witch, I am not sure where on the datacard you have an outlet for an aerial, but mine does not. I know that the older cards did have one, but not on any produced since July last year AFAIK.

I did enquire at an orange shop once, and was told that there was no way an aerial can be attatched.

Boaters phone company have a variety of cradles to fit various phones and some connectors for when some phones have a removeable aerial. Unfortunately noe of these fit my data card. I visited their local agent (Jannel Cruisers) but to be honest they weren't much help.

Steev

Thanks for trying everyone but this is a cut & paste I received from the card manufacturers yesterday. . .

There is no external antenna for the U530. The blanking plug on the

underneath is to cover an RF socket for test and diagnostic purposes. It is

not to use an external antenna. You will violate CE Marking should you use

an external antenna!

The Novatel Merlin U630 is different. It has an external antenna jack and

you will be able to order it direct from the carriers i.e. Orange UK or

Vodafone UK, when they start selling this card.

Odd how existing Vodaphone cards have an external aerial shipped with them despit the manufacturer saying they aren't being sold yet. Now the good news. . . If I balance the laptop on top of the hi-fie speaker adjacent to the kitchen window I get a signal !

Steev

Thanks for that Steev. BTW I knew there was an upgrade due for the datacard, and last night I found it. It wasn't linked on the Orange website yesterday, although it may be now. In case it isnt here is where you can download it

http://www.orange.co.uk/business/corporate...ocsoftware.html

It's 12MB though, so you might want to phone Orange on 156 and ask for a cd, other than that find a nice friend to download it and send you a disc! <_<

It also has new software by way of data compression.... ie swap faster speed for poorer image quality. This you can set for yourself. A few changes also to the control panel... It now tells you what the signal is at any given time, and also lets you know whether you are on gprs or 3g. You can also do other things while online including sending texts, and presumably receiving them.

Only downloaded it late last night, am well impressed, it has made a huge difference... and we are moored in the same place as yesterday.

Just one word of warning. As it is not yet on their main website pages (although as I said it might be now), do a restore point for yourself just in case it doesnt work out for you... or phone Orange and ask them if the update is on public release and complete.

I have taken it, and its good :D

At the moment i am using a 6310i with bluetooth to connect my laptop to the net but phone is getting old and tired now would you say the 3g card is a good step forward?

I am able to monitor my usage with the phones data counter does anyone know whether the card has this feature as i can see myself getting carried away and using more than my monthly bundle.

I think just a mobile is good enough really if you don't want to use the net THAT much.

Yes it does have usage counter, but it is definitely not reliable. A lot of customers have mananged to get their money back after relying on the counter, then when they got their bill it was sky high. Not so anymore with this new update. A note under the counter says that it is only a guide, and customers should check their latest bill!

I use DuMeter which I have found extremely accurate and informative for keeping tabs on usage.

It is a very good idea to have a good look around for an Orange Mobile datacard. The price varies considerably. For a start you have to 'buy' one. Then you need to decide how much MB you want as a maximum per month.

I just looked on one site and the info is all there for you to look at save me typing it all out http://www.directmobilephones.com/orange_3g_datacard.htm

But do look around. My datacard cost me £20 for a 400MB package. The 7MB package works out at £10 per month, so not really much different that what you probably already have by way of a package for your mobile. The cost of the datacard if you choose the 7MB is very high.

On the 3g side of things. It really isn't that much quicker than gprs except if you want to download files... then it does fly to be fair to orange. Browsing the internet is not noticably quicker. Also on the canal system, there are very very few places indeed that picks up 3g. Here in London I got it at Uxbridge, but not here at Bulls Bridge tonight.

So I would say if you don't need all those MB, and you are happy with your phone on gprs, maybe buy yourself a new one to replace your poor worn out friend. :)

See also the thread 3G Internet Update

I have similar problems with the Vodafone 'Dashboard' software. There seem to be two situations where it does not record usage:

1/ You do not start the dashboard simply click connect when prompted by the browser.

2/ You force the application to close via the OS. It seems not to close gracefully during power off on my laptop.

I will try DuMeter - thanks for that!

The Link you give quotes £45 for 400MB, £10 for 7MB & £20 for 65MB per month exclusive of VAT. Vodafone charge the same for 10MB & 75MB respectively, however the Orange 'out of bundle' rate is lower and the purchase price of the card is slightly lower.

The Vodafone badged card that I have is manufactured by Option (not Novatel Merlin) & comes with an external aeriel intended to be stuck on a car window. The lead is very short & I broke the tiny coax plug the first time I used it (me too Clevett). The Orange card pictured at the above link does have an external aerial (radome).

The wavelengths for mobile 'phones are about 30cm (O2, Vodafone) or 15cm (Orange etc.). Inside a steel boat the signal may be received via a window or wood door/hatch exceeding those dimensions & probably the one facing the transmitter. If the windows are wet reception will suffer.

I would rather have a GPRS/Bluetooth 'phone if I could get the same data tariff with it.

Alan

Thanks Sue for the advice have downloaded DuMeter this morning it works well. I would be interested where you got your 3g card from for only £20. I have a 400mb mundle on GPRS with my Orange phone at the moment perhaps they will give me a good price on an upgrade. One advantage of the phone is that you can connect via Bluetooth so phone can be placed for best signal and laptop where you want it.

• 4 weeks later...

Update on all this not bothered with a 3G card went and got the new Nokia 6630 on Orange came with 3 months free 1GB bundle. Connected to my laptop by bluetooth so no problem with not having an ariel just put the phone near a window etc. And apart from that you also have a great little phone for calls.