Honey Street Barge Inn

b0atman

Featured Posts

With the new K&A continuous mooring agreement I expect there will be no available moorings on these good locations.

When it comes in will they be expected to pay £25 if they stay 3 days on a 48 hr mooring or will it carry on just like now?

With the new K&A continuous mooring agreement I expect there will be no available moorings on these good locations.

The Barge is on the long pound so is not part of the new towpath mooring scheme.

Its a popular spot but the local boaters are pretty good at sticking to the 14 day moorings so you are quite likely to find space on the 24 hour moorings right outside the pub.

.............Dave

The Barge is on the long pound so is not part of the new towpath mooring scheme.

Its a popular spot but the local boaters are pretty good at sticking to the 14 day moorings so you are quite likely to find space on the 24 hour moorings right outside the pub.

.............Dave

There were about 3 vacancies on the piled section when we arrived, I would suggest the others may have been there more than 48 hrs but I could be wrong as I only stayed for 19 hrs.

The crop circle "stuff " hasn't been removed as such, it just comes and goes from the noticeboard and is put up by those interested in the subject. As the 'season' gets underway, more info / pictures are added. Made by clever students with bits of string, that's not what I heard!

That's good to know.

My information came from the barmaid, a few years ago, and it seemed to make sense. I certainly don't credit aliens, though some students may be a bit alienated, and even alienating. What did you hear?

That's good to know.

My information came from the barmaid, a few years ago, and it seemed to make sense. I certainly don't credit aliens, though some students may be a bit alienated, and even alienating. What did you hear?

Aliens!

I first went there in 1995 and the pub had a room dedicated to crop circles and taken very seriously which gave us all a good laugh. Went back last summer and the room had gone and it was just a few photos on the noticeboard. I think 'circling' is losing its following. There was a Ch4 documentary some years ago and a group of Wiltshire locals not only confessed to being the main culprits but also explained how it was done. It didn't stop the loonies believing that it was aliens. One old guy summed it up rather well - 'we go out on a summers evening and create a pattern in the corn which is fun and then we always tell someone who continue to believe its the work of Aliens and so everyone is happy.'

Thats interesting, I had assumed that the current owner purchased the building after the community group failed.

So as you say, it was a very big grant just to "redecorate" the bar!!!!!

Also, if the current owner had the building during Adrian and Junes time then this questions the reason for the community takeover which I heard was to prevent the Barge becoming a bland eatery. The current owner appears to be very pro live music, and with the failure of both the community group and the recent tenants he has had ample justification to turn the pub into a restaurant if he so desired????

But more important, if anyone is visiting the K&A pay the Barge a visit and spend a bit of money there, keep an open mind, and enjoy a rather unique pub.

..........Dave

Do you happen to know who is in charge of the Waterfront Inn at Pewsey now? I hear that Carl (ex-French Horn, perhaps) has taken over the bistro, but what about the pub itself?

Do you happen to know who is in charge of the Waterfront Inn at Pewsey now? I hear that Carl (ex-French Horn, perhaps) has taken over the bistro, but what about the pub itself?

Not sure! Its either the same people doing both, or at least working in close co-operation?. Pub is run by the bloke who used to cook at the Barge????

We moored there a few weeks ago. Bistro appeared very busy indeed, and pub doing a good constantly changing range of real ales in good condition.

........Dave

Not sure! Its either the same people doing both, or at least working in close co-operation?. Pub is run by the bloke who used to cook at the Barge????

We moored there a few weeks ago. Bistro appeared very busy indeed, and pub doing a good constantly changing range of real ales in good condition.

........Dave

Ah. Carl was at the Barge, was he? I knew it was somewhere close by. The landlord at the Wharf used to be an ex-naval character called Shag. Great bloke.