Maximum rudder angle before stall?

blackrose

Featured Posts

Whio had stops at 45degrees either side and you could stall the rudder initiating the turn but left the distinct impression that once the turn had commenced the rudder stops were in the way. Now we have stops at 60 degrees and once the turn is underway the stops can still obstruct a non stalled rudder.

I watch the prop stream constantly whilst turning and frequently have to resweep the tiller to re-establish laminar flow. You can actually feel a change in tiller pressure at stall.. The actual stall angle? I think it depends on power setting,depth of water, phase of the turn and direction of the turn relative to prop rotation as well as boat specific factors.

Don.

Not sure I understand that? If you have to resweep the rudder to re-establish laminar flow then presumably the rudder has already stalled? The way you've written it sounds like you're blaming the rudder stops for the stall, but surely they are there prevent that happening? If laminar flow had stopped it's because you've taken the rudder past its maximum operating angle and that's not due the rudder stops.

Not sure I understand that? If you have to resweep the rudder to re-establish laminar flow then presumably the rudder has already stalled? The way you've written it sounds like you're blaming the rudder stops for the stall, but surely they are there prevent that happening? If laminar flow had stopped it's because you've taken the rudder past its maximum operating angle and that's not due the rudder stops.

A stalled rudder is of little consequence when it can so quickly be observed and then countered by by resweeping the tiller. Restraining the rudder angle and consequently degrading the available turning performance was certainly an issue for me and already I revel in Whio's much tighter turning ability.

Don