Huge fire near River Aire/Leeds andl Liverpool canal.

Featured Posts

Tuesday, 22 April 2014
Pollution shuts canal in Leeds
The Leeds and Liverpool Canal is currently closed between Office Lock (2) and Spring Garden Lock (6) following a pollution incident.

A fire in a building near the canal has led to the canal becoming polluted. Booms have been put in place across the canal to try and contain the escaped chemicals. The Fire Brigade and the Environment Agency have requested that the canal remains closed until the pollution can be investigated and a plan to manage it has been made.

An update should be issued later today.

....and not a single mention of the potential local environmental issues this has caused on the evening news tonight. On the ground (water) feeling is that there's a propper big bollock been dropped somewhere and......well.....they're talking about 1 week plus before (they) clear it up?

With a bit of luck this won't effect the very precious ecology we've got up at Kirkstal!

....and not a single mention of the potential local environmental issues this has caused on the evening news tonight. On the ground (water) feeling is that there's a propper big bollock been dropped somewhere and......well.....they're talking about 1 week plus before (they) clear it up?

With a bit of luck this won't effect the very precious ecology we've got up at Kirkstal!

On calendar news in a few mins about all the dead fish.

"Impact on the Aire minimal"!!!!!!?????

"1000s of fish dead"!!!!!!!!!??????

Wow. That's alright then.

Had me a bit worried there.

Same here.

They better not steal the fish from the next pounds up near my fishing spot.

I know this much, there were several big acid baths in there as well as a sh!t load of hazardous chemicals, solvent cleaners and the like. And they've washed the lot, building and all into the cut.

Lets hope they get big fines.

But I guess lots of this type business will be around the waterways.

All that acid and chemical brother will descale a metal bungalow in seconds. It'd dissolve a grp in nanos.

What pound is contaminated?

Is it from them locks up Kirkstall near them student flats in the old brewery to a lock near town?

If so that's a big pound with a marina near the power station.