Driffield canal

Kieron G

Featured Posts

Hi, moving the boat to the Yorks river Derwent from Selby canal for summer moorings on Sunday and have been looking on the maps for interesting places to visit from there that i haven't already been. I realise that i am relatively inexperienced, would need VHF operators license and a greater understanding of charts and the tides. But in theory would it realistic for me contemplate taking my 23ft steel boat onto the Humber to access the River Hull and Driffield canal or would this passage be strictly for boats with coastal capability ? The 25hp engine is proving to be reliable so far and i have a small outboard as a back up. If the people in the know think that it would be foolish that's fine. I just want to set a realistic goal. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Should not be a problem,if you take advice from lockkeepers,as windforce and direction are just as important as the tide.

We did it from Beverly to Hull marina,waited there for the right circumstances and went on to Keadby.

You probably have to do in two stages,Hull marina first and then on to the river Hull and the Driffield.

Hull marina is not cheap,but you do get access to proper showers.

When we did it there was a similar size narrowboat to the one you have and the owner did this trip on a regular basis.

So provided you have the gear,no problem,

Geert

You would certainly need to be licensed and able to talk on VHF to the Hull harbour master - call sign Drypool Radio on ch 22 for River Hull access - available from 3 hours before HW to HW at least. You also need to contact them at least 24 hours before on 01482 331208 to discuss boat size and timings as its tidal up to Hempholme Lock. I believe the River Hull presents no challenges as long as you are aware of tides, although getting to it may be more challenging but far from impossible.

What speed does your eng push you along at on the Canal normally, and have you got any Throttle left in reserve ? Pick the weather on a Windlass day, Lock Keepers are you friends and try and go with someone else ie another boat if you can. I only had one problem up that way Many yearsago, maybe not exactly where you are,but I ended up aground,with a Farmers Wire Stock fence wrapped around my prop at one point. By a Bridge, So wire cutters may be a good addition to your tool box. All part of boating.

Obviously I'm not going into the normal basic Safety Equipment and preparations that I take it you will have done,

Thanks for that guys. I am looking to book myself on a vhf course asap, and i do need a greater understanding of the state of tide i would need to set off on. Have been relying on the knowledge of lock keepers at Naburn, Selby and Barmby for my trips on the Ouse. Maybe if anyone on this forum is making the trip at some point i could follow them. Obviously i can't keep up with a fibreglass cruiser. Would be great to get up to Beverly for the folk festival at the end of June and drink lots of beer.

Sorry Paul, Missed your post. She does quite well for speed i think but does get a bit white smokey when pushed hard for prolonged periods like going against the flow of the derwent for an hour when the flood gates were open a few weeks ago. Short sprints into Selby and Barmby locks no problem ( with the boat ).

From talking to the lock keepers on the Ouse when passing through, the amount of fresh water seems to be a big consideration for when in the tide they let boats through the gates. A few of us got held at Barmby for an extra day last week because there was too much fresh water on the Ouse.