12v or 240 A+ Fridge

Lady Heidi

Featured Posts

Our Bosch fridge is now 7 years old I think, when purchased it was described as A+ 117KWH per year, in fact they're still on sale today. It's interesting that yours is 140KWH but A++ I wonder weather the rating system has been changed, or possibly because your fridge has a freezer compartment it's so rated as a different product.

The rating system doesnt have fixed numerical bands for each rating, its relative. I think they use D as the average efficiency for the item but i cant remember for sure... either way and item rated as A is considered more efficient than would normally be expected for this type of item. So as you said the ratings in terms of actual quantifiable power consumed can vary between items of a different nature. So for example an A++ rated freezer might use more energy than an A+ rated fridge but is rated A++ because it is a very efficient freezer compared to other freezers.

I had trouble making that make sense...im still not sure if it does...

• 3 months later...

I can confirm I managed to start two different models of fridges on 1000w inverter, one of them (rated at 50w) was drawing around 30 amps and the other one (90w) just over 40 amps on start up.

Looking at these start-up figures of 30/40amps, can I ask how long a 16amp MCB will handle this before tripping, and would it likely trip if I already had a light load on?

The reason I ask is we are about to start using a 240v fridge without any batteries or inverter to take up the surges, if that's the correct term?

Also, typically, how many amps would a small 240v fridge be drawing when settled?

Usual thanks in advance! Stuart

The rating system doesnt have fixed numerical bands for each rating, its relative. I think they use D as the average efficiency for the item but i cant remember for sure... either way and item rated as A is considered more efficient than would normally be expected for this type of item. So as you said the ratings in terms of actual quantifiable power consumed can vary between items of a different nature. So for example an A++ rated freezer might use more energy than an A+ rated fridge but is rated A++ because it is a very efficient freezer compared to other freezers.

I had trouble making that make sense...im still not sure if it does...

The main thing to remember is that the rating is calculated on an energy consumption per unit volume basis. So you could have an A+ rated American style walk in fridge freezer that uses twice as much electricity as a conventional fridge freezer but has the same energy rating.