An Eberspacher service update .

chubby

Featured Posts

Hello ,

today i ve finally found enough time to dedicate just to try and sort this eber out. i ve removed it and i now have the little gauze for the glow plug infront of me . Its completely black .

To clean it is it best to remove the plug or just go at it with a toothbrush ?

To remove the plug is it simply a case of undoing / loosening the 12mm nut adjacent to where the electric wires connect .

Thanks again for any help on this long running issue ,

cheers

edit . i decided to just take the glowplug out . Very stiff but now have the gauze in front of me and will attempt to clean it . As i hold it up to the light i can see it is mostly blocked up .

Not sure what to soak it in to help dislodge the black stuff . Anything i can get from Halfords etc ?

thanks

Edited by chubby

Caustic soda/sodium hydroxide (from your local ironmonger as drain cleaner) or stove door glass cleaner or oven cleaner. ( Oven Pride is best IMHO) Don't put any caustic anywhere near aluminium. Rinse well in water afterwards.

Or you could just warm it up with a blowlamp and burn off the cr@p then go at it with a toothbrush and detergent.

N

Edited by BEngo

Cheers for this

i'm actually stomping my way down the towpath to buy " oven pride" as we speak . Happy days . I ve used it on ovens before and nothings better i think so thought id try it , give it a thorough soak and see how it comes up .

cheers

Hello ,

today i ve finally found enough time to dedicate just to try and sort this eber out. i ve removed it and i now have the little gauze for the glow plug infront of me . Its completely black .

To clean it is it best to remove the plug or just go at it with a toothbrush ?

To remove the plug is it simply a case of undoing / loosening the 12mm nut adjacent to where the electric wires connect .

Thanks again for any help on this long running issue ,

cheers

edit . i decided to just take the glowplug out . Very stiff but now have the gauze in front of me and will attempt to clean it . As i hold it up to the light i can see it is mostly blocked up .

Not sure what to soak it in to help dislodge the black stuff . Anything i can get from Halfords etc ?

thanks

Carb cleaner works reasonably well, I normally use it in a heated ultrasonic bath but quite frankly as they cost bus fares it is worth just replacing it.

Cheers NMEA ,

I ve got my gauze in soak just now for several more hours or overnight . I ve looked all over tinternet & on ebay for replacements but they re not cheap as far as i can see . I found on ebay a place in woodbridge suffolk that may have what i need but mine is a D4WSC . Its the" C" thats causing probs as the parts seem difficult to get . I dont want to assume its the same part as on a D4 WS but hopefully it is . They seem mostly to come as a kit with a glowpin for £70 + . I ve also seen on the ebay photos 2 "O " ring seals but when i took mine apart this morning they weren t to bee seen - worrying possibly .

cheers

Cheers NMEA ,

I ve also seen on the ebay photos 2 "O " ring seals but when i took mine apart this morning they weren t to bee seen - worrying possibly .

cheers

Not possibly, more certainly, it needs them so you will have to source them along with other gaskets you have disturbed. I seems like somebody with no understanding has been fiddling so carefully check the manual and exploded parts diagrams for other missing or incorrectly installed parts.

Thanks again NMEA

I m waiting on replies from parts stockists about replacement gauzes / screens . I ' ve looked on the workshop manual several times first thing this morning before i took it apart and again just now . Its just when i opened it up , undid the glowpin nut to free the gauze no " o " rings came out , but theyre clearly there on the manual diagrams . I can see a green " o " ring on the piece that slots into the combustion chamber tho .

I also have two spare gaskets to replace aswell , but until i hear back from the suppliers to see if they have any of these gauzes i will have to wait ,

cheers

ok i ve orderd a new gauze with 2 " o " rings so will await delivery before the next stage of this trauma ,

cheers again

Edited by chubby

Looking at the description here it appears the gauze is the same as used in the D5WS, D5WZ, D5WSC, B4WSC, eberspacher part # 252121990113

http://sales.butlertechnik.com/eberspacher/eberspacher-water-heater-spare-parts/d4w-sc/eberspacher-d4w-d5w-glow-pin-screen-kit-252121990113

If you can get hold of a parts list for your heater that should give all the #s...

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

cheers again

i went on a website of PF JONES . Very usefully they have a diagram of the heater from the workshop manual . You click on the corresponding part and the details & cost come up on the screen . £20 with delivery for such a tiny part , but never mind . Probably not the cheapest firm but genuine eber parts .

Like i say , when i took it apart no " o " rings came out with the gauze screen so i just hope its obvious where they go when the replacement parts arrive . I ve got to go to my parents in Suffolk to collect them aswell as a few other things in about a weeks time .

Can anyone shed light on where the two o rings fit in relation to the gauze ?

cheers again

Did a bit of a google, found a parts and service manual:

http://butlertechnik.com/download/4k/Eberspacher_Hydronic_D4WSC_Parts_List.pdf

http://butlertechnik.com/download/4n/Eberspacher_Hydronic_D4WSC_Workshop_Manual.pdf

Looking at part #16 on p30 of the manual in the second link, it looks like the thicker O ring goes in before the gauze and the thinner one afterwards. Then the gloplug socket part #15 goes in after.

ETA: If you google on the gauze part reference 252121990113 it should turn up a couple more suppliers.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Cheers Pete

i have to admit that when i look at both the diagram in the manual and when i look at it in the flesh i just don t see where the two o rings go at all . I m hoping when i have the ordered parts it becomes obvious . After this i shall admit defeat i think and send it off to be looked at as i m just too sick and tired of this heater . Hopefully it should be obvious , then i ll put it all back together and re fit it into the engine room and with luck it ll work but its pretty crapdoing a job and expecting to fail but you have to try eh ?

cheers again

OK here's a snippet from p30 of the manual:

gallery_2174_346_8992.png

#16 is the gauze and O rings and it looks like the thicker O ring is in the inside away and the thinner on is on the outside towards the gloplug thread.

My guess is that during ignition fuel ends up on or near the gauze and the heat from the plug makes it smoke off and ignite and there's some sort of air flow through the swirl holes to make a combustible mixture.

But if the gauze or swirl holes are is blocked with soot it can't ignite properly, which is why your heater is smoking and failing to ignite.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Cheers again Pete ,

I m very grateful to you fir your help . I too have noticed on this image above from the manual & on pictures from ebay ads that the two o rings are

different .

Part 15 on the image above is still in place where it was when i started this job -,it hasn t moved at all . This part 15 connects to the rubber pipe from the metering pump .,

The Gauze has a " shoulder " on it but this is not obvious on the diagram but is obvious on ebay pics that i cannot put up here i m afraid .

I can only theorise that one " o " ring - the thinner one sits above the thread on the glowpin itself ,

whilst the " fatter o ring " sits above the shoulder on the gauze .

Like i say hopefully it will be obvious once i have these parts delivered .

The filter gauze itself has cleaned up ok & was indeed clogged , but i cannot use it as it needs these o rings which never appeared when i dismantled it . I d hoped it was a case of clean it , put it back & turn it on to see if it worked but with no sign of the original o rings i ll have to wait now .

Thanks again for your help and patience

N

Helllo

So today i have got my new filter / gauze from PF Jones and it does come with two o rings . These are very different . The thicker of the two i recognise and can see where this fits . The second is much thinner and has me stumped .

In the workshop manual the exploded diagram clearly shows part 16 to comprise of two o rings and a filter/ gauze .

BUT on page 34 of 52 on fig 5b the photograph shows only one o ring .

So im in the dark as to where this second slim o ring is meant to go , and as i stated on previous posts above there never was a second o ring apparent during the dismantling .

Has anyone fitted a new glowpin or cleaned the gauze on thier eber & if so can you shed any light on this conundrum .

This " part 16 " is actually not just for the D4WSC & i m beginning to theorise that the filter/gauze is supplied with 2 o rings but you only need one or the other dependant on which model you of eber you have . Just a theory , but it could explain as to why the thicker o ring is obvious but the second , thinner one not so and why on the D4WSC manual page 34 fig 5b theres only one on the photo .

I m not going to be able to fit the new part till next week but if any one can advise as to whether i m completely wrong or otherwise i d be grateful .

My ebers been a bit of a mission to work on & i ve had other dramas both on & off the boat in between so after the glowpin filter clean up and service if it don t work i 'll get a pro to fix it as i know i gave it a good shot but you can t win ' em all so once i ve got it re installed i shall report back here as i ve received plenty of help and its only right to let folks know the results and maybe in future it could help others with eber probs

cheers

Edited by chubby

Having a second look at the above piccy, the second O ring looks a lot bigger diameter than the gauze.

So maybe the thinner O ring goes between the gloplug socket (part #15) and the body of the heater, to create a seal there?

ETA: If all else fails maybe PM NMEA or, call the supplier that supplied the bits and see if they can help.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Cheers again Pete ,

The thicker o ring sits on part 4 - the combustion chamber and i THINK the glowpin surrounded by the gauze then slots inside the combustion chamber .

I may well be wrong but thats how it seems .... i m pretty much thinking this stuff thru as i go really . I did call the company i got the parts from but to be fair to them i don t think the guy on the phone was an engineer as such .

Anyway , i ll put back together as best i can and take it from there .

cheers again

Thanks again NMEA

I m waiting on replies from parts stockists about replacement gauzes / screens . I ' ve looked on the workshop manual several times first thing this morning before i took it apart and again just now . Its just when i opened it up , undid the glowpin nut to free the gauze no " o " rings came out , but theyre clearly there on the manual diagrams . I can see a green " o " ring on the piece that slots into the combustion chamber tho .

I also have two spare gaskets to replace aswell , but until i hear back from the suppliers to see if they have any of these gauzes i will have to wait ,

cheers

ok i ve orderd a new gauze with 2 " o " rings so will await delivery before the next stage of this trauma ,

cheers again

Oh Heck..!!

It's Chubby again..and I get all 'involved'..!!!

If you have the gauze out...you need to clean inside the body area where it fits...

To do this..get an old metal spoon..with a a thin..bent.. handle end..

File the slightly bent handle end to get it a 'little sharp'...NOT razor !

You can then fit this curved end into the recess...and use it to scrape around the inside area..where otherwise you can't reach..and get the carbon out..

Thanks again guys ,

Bobbybass also , thanks for your advice and i ' ll definately do as you suggest once i m back on the boat next week . I remember a PM from you in which you suggested very correctly , it was " time for spanners " so i just went for it & took it apart . In the end it came very close to working so hopefully this gauze & o ring replacement will allow the thing to fire up successfully as it was pretty blocked up with soot or carbon .

cheers again