Vannette hob lpg fittings ??? 5/16

Titan

Featured Posts

Please could someone help, i am struggling to identify the gas in, size of the fittings on the vanette 4000 Hob and 7000 oven, the hob has (i think) @ 5/16 pipe with nut and olive, how does one identify the thread and size of the nut ? I am looking for i believe a male 5/16 addaptor to 10mm commpresion is this thread likely to be bsp? and do you order fittings via pipe diameter of nut diameter?

so little advice locally, B E S offer a bsp parellel male 10mm-3/8 or 10 mm-1/2. Ive searched net and failed to find any referance. Advice as allways GREATLY APPRECIATED Regards Martin

Nearly all boat LPG fittings are imperial. 10mm is very close to 3/8. 8 mm is near enough 5/16. All the threads are imperial because the European and International Standards for gas and water pipe threads adopted the old BSP, but gave it new designators like G,(gas) R (external taper), Rc (internal taper), Rs ( external parallel) and Rp (external parallel) followed by the imperial size.

Pipe fittings are specified by the pipe diameter(s) and/or by thread depending on what the fitting does. So, to connect a 3/8 in pipe to another 3/8 pipe it would be a 3/8x3/8 coupler. For a T the first two sizes are the main run and the last is the branch - a 3/8 x3/8x 1/4 T enables you to take a 1/4 branch off a main run of 3/8 pipe. Fittings with a pipe at one end and a thread at the other are specified by the pipe size, thread size and whether the thread is Male or Female. So to connect a 3/8 pipe to 1/2 BSP male thread is a 3/8 by 1/2BSP F coupler. If you wanted to connect to a female on the appliance then you would need a 3/8x 1/2 BSPM coupler. Some male fittings have a taper thread. These will be described as BSPT or R.

The installation manuals for the appliance should tell you what size their connections are. These manuals are likely to be available on the web.

Given that you are unable to identify the inlet connections and don't know what sort of fittings you need are you sure that you would not be safer getting a qualified person to do the work? A professional will almost certainly have all the necessary fittings.

N

Edited by BEngo

Fully agree with Bengo's last point, especially without knowing the background to the problem. Plus you can also pick their brains and learn from them. Best get a personal recommendation then check on the 'Gas Safe' website they have the correct registration for working on boats:

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/

I do think it's good to learn about pipework and threads and compression fittings, but connecting up a gas hob and oven in a boat is not the best place to start.. unsure.png

Anyway, out of interest, to identify BSP thread sizes from the diameter best look at a table, as somewhat confusingly, a thread 3/8" across is not 3/8" BSP:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Pipe (and others through google)

A qualified gas bod etc would likely use a fitting from the Wade range, with soft parallel copper olives:

http://www.lubeline.co.uk/Downloads/Wade%20fittings001.pdf

Out of interest again, to find suppliers, a google on Wade and the part number usually turns up at least a few, plus there's some sold on Ebay and BES do a range.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Thank you for the replies, having just had a full c/h system installed at home, i was appalled at the quality of the workmanship (thats another story ) however i do take on the comments made, and appreciate the good advice. I have now found on the stoves site the offending item missing from the hob. And can now move forward, I have used all wade fittings, and bulkhead connectors, the 10mm. pipe is of 1mm wall thickness not. 0.6 like so many, all olives are of soft copper etc . I intend to have the system fully checked upon completion by a recognised lpg boat cert gas safe engineer . Thanks again Martin

Fair dos, it wasn't clear from your initial question that the fitting was missing, making it seem that you didn't quite understand BSP threads.

If you'd said that in the first place and included a piccie and some background, you'd probably have got exactly the answer you wanted, instead of the usual disclaimers and hedging. smile.png

The hob probably had something like a 5/16 compression to 3/8 BSP taper male, so one of those (or an 8mm compression to BSP taper male) then a 10mm compression to 3/8 BSP parallel female for the pipework side would probably do it.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete