Want a wooden boat?

DRA

Featured Posts

Wooden cruiser on Ebay

I'm not connected with the sale of this boat but I used to own it (three owners ago!) and I do know it's worth a lot more than the current bid. If anyone's looking for a narrow-beam cruiser and doesn't mind a wooden one this could be a bargain. I sold it for £9500 two years ago.

The ad. says it is 8 foot beam - it isn't, it is 6"10". If you want an more info, let me know.

Hope it's OK to post this - as I say, I have no connection with the sale.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301111023345?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Yes I've been watching this. It's been relisted a couple of times having fallen from a £15k BIN to £12k and now the no reserve auction this time round.

I was rather hoping he would persevere with the high price and waited until the summer before dropping because I would love to buy it but (in the absence of a Taylors of Chester) but not for a few months.

I don't know where he got the 8 feet from - she's definitely a narrow-beam!

It really would be a shame to see her sold as a "cheap boat" and then neglected. At 48 years old she's in pretty good nick. I had the rudder lower mount rebuilt in 2005 and then had her in Michael Dennett's at Laleham in 2008 (I think) to have the keel band rebuilt. He gave the hull a good going over, replaced one plank and declared the rest sound.

Just a thought - for Leo No. 2. Kathryn - would this be of any interest to your friends at the Museum at Stoke Bruerne? I know they're mostly into the working canal system but this is a good example of an early purpose-built canal cruiser going (currently) for silly money! All the history given on the Ebay ad is verifiable and I could provide a few more details.

David

I don't know where he got the 8 feet from - she's definitely a narrow-beam!

It really would be a shame to see her sold as a "cheap boat" and then neglected. At 48 years old she's in pretty good nick. I had the rudder lower mount rebuilt in 2005 and then had her in Michael Dennett's at Laleham in 2008 (I think) to have the keel band rebuilt. He gave the hull a good going over, replaced one plank and declared the rest sound.

Just a thought - for Leo No. 2. Kathryn - would this be of any interest to your friends at the Museum at Stoke Bruerne? I know they're mostly into the working canal system but this is a good example of an early purpose-built canal cruiser going (currently) for silly money! All the history given on the Ebay ad is verifiable and I could provide a few more details.

David

David - I will mention it to them when I see them in the morning. Hope all going well on the Wey.

David - I will mention it to them when I see them in the morning.

Please don't.

It would be such a shame to see another nice cruiser end up like that poor Taylors of Chester at Ellesmere Port stranded in an exhibition room never to get wet again.

These boats can be preserved and maintained in their natural habitat and that's where they are best seen...not stuffed and mounted in a museum.

• Greenie 2

I take your point, Carlt and of course I'd prefer it to go to someone who will maintain and use it, I'd just be sad to see it parked on a mooring and forgotten.

Luctor, I'm not sure if he's referring to the diesel Eberspacher D2 (I think that's the model, the smallest one) which I fitted, with ducting to both cabins, or whether it has had an upgrade since its time with me. I suspect it's the Eber - don't they use the term Airtronic?

Kathryn - the Wey is good. We managed to avoid the worst of the floods. It was nice to see the Navigation open and some boats moving today - first time for a while!.