3G reversing gear hard to get neutral

Jumbosailor

Featured Posts

Since purchasing this boat with HRW4 and 3G box i have had a good deal of problem finding neutral - I read a few posts about the

2G box on this site and it sort of hits the spot. Last year I thought the clutch was slipping so I purchased new plates but have yet to get the nerve up to attack the beast with spanners - "She who must be obeyed" has in her wisdom suggested I get someone who knows what they are doing to fix it, so I am making a all ships call to find an engineer who understand what spanners are for and can read the workshop manual, which I have, but dont understand. This would be a paid job including transport - I have had too long in the Marine business dealing with disappearing yachties in Australia and other places

Regards

Paul

Redquest

Central France

Paul, if you can hang on for a while, I am doing this job on a Blackstone box this week. I'll put up some photos when I have finished. Then you can decide if you are capable of doing the job yourself

Richard

Since purchasing this boat with HRW4 and 3G box i have had a good deal of problem finding neutral - I read a few posts about the

2G box on this site and it sort of hits the spot. Last year I thought the clutch was slipping so I purchased new plates but have yet to get the nerve up to attack the beast with spanners - "She who must be obeyed" has in her wisdom suggested I get someone who knows what they are doing to fix it, so I am making a all ships call to find an engineer who understand what spanners are for and can read the workshop manual, which I have, but dont understand. This would be a paid job including transport - I have had too long in the Marine business dealing with disappearing yachties in Australia and other places

Regards

Paul

Redquest

Central France

Welcome to the forum Paul. I trust you enjoyed the ACN rally at Chatel Censoir where I did the initial harbour-mastering boat.gif

Worth waiting for Richard to do his report as he knows what he's doing. I can definitely tell you an engineer, based in France, to avoid but you need 5 posts before I can pm (personal message) you.

Roger

Barge 'Phoenix'

Welcome to the forum Paul. I trust you enjoyed the ACN rally at Chatel Censoir where I did the initial harbour-mastering boat.gif

Worth waiting for Richard to do his report as he knows what he's doing. I can definitely tell you an engineer, based in France, to avoid but you need 5 posts before I can pm (personal message) you.

Roger

Barge 'Phoenix'

Paul,

May I second what "Roger" has said, Richard is rather good at refurbishing gearboxes - - and - in my opinion - just as good at explaining how to refurbish them.

Roger

Barge 'Phoenix'

I have a slight idea who this engineer to avoid may be, and if he's the one I'm thinking of, don't ever mention his name, the only real thing he's able to do is writing out bills.

I suppose I must be happy for never having had him on board.

Peter.

Thanks Roger - yes we had a ball at the ACN only problem is we have to wait until 2015 for the next bash.

my direct email is riana<at symbol>seabourne.com.au

Paul

Hi Paul,

I see from your location that you are in- or close to Roanne, some friends of mine are supposed to be in the area too on their narrowboat "Genie's Wish" they are a lovely couple.

We had a chat at Châtel Censoir too, where I told you that I knew Gorden the man who build your boat, but I don't suppose you'll remember me, a little overweight dutchman ex-bargee, another friend of mine joined in too, who use to operate his commercial barge single handed as well.

BTW, Good luck with the repair of your gearbox.

Peter.

Edited by FadeToScarlet

I have a slight idea who this engineer to avoid may be, and if he's the one I'm thinking of, don't ever mention his name, the only real thing he's able to do is writing out bills.

I suppose I must be happy for never having had him on board.

Peter.

Yes Peter, I think you may very well know the one that I have been talking about. icecream.gifbiggrin.png

Roger

I attacked the beast yesterday and slackened off the screws a bit - then I noticed in the book that you are supposed to have 10 thou clearance from the end of the screw to the thing in front of it so I tightened and loosened until I got the 10/1000 and now all appears OK - I ran it at the dock and once the oil had warmed up

the neutral position was well defined. We will see what it has done once we get back from Aus in May - If it hasnt worked I may give you a call later in the year thanks again.

Paul

As my late father used to say to me, "when all else fails, read the instructions"?

He was usually talking about an Airfix model that was finished except for some crucial internal parts back then, of course.

Now I hear his voice when ever I begin a new job...

Edited by Stilllearning