BRITISH WATERWAYS

tim.ledbury

Featured Posts

Pay BW and they dont care about you. Dont pay them and they might stick a label on your boat, but it is To Much Work and Takes To Long for them to actually do anything.( so they wont bother).

Ok I am really upset and now bias against BW. But my dog has been bitten by a rat that could have been avoided if BW had done something (like pick up the rubbish) weeks ago when we (the residents) started complaining. Before anyone says anything I have done enough clearing of rubbish to live the next two hundred years throwing rubbish onto the towpath and not worrying. (I don't ask or expect anyone to clear up after my dog either)

So who is liable for the vet bill that I now face?

So who will clear the rubbish (not the boater that dropped it there)(BW cant be bothered, THERE WORDS).

So what happened to the right to LIFE........ (OH BW LOOK OUT I KNOW A LITTLE SOMETHING).

Yes to all you boaters that think you can never get revenge WATCH THIS SPACE.....

We might not have any rights to anything else but we still (BY LAW) have Human Rights.

And when they start to pay, you know, that the claims are going to start to flood in and within weeks they will be bankrupt.

So Lets start to gather evidence of BW in breech of our Human Rights. Take Photos, keep a diary whatever just make some form of evidence. And let me know please (if you dont want to be named, NO PROBLEM) mail me back through here and lets start to get something for our money....

Hiya Tim

I've checked, and your Human rights are as follows

* right to life

* prohibition of torture

* prohibition of slavery and forced labour

* right to liberty and security

* right to a fair trial

* no punishment without law

* right to respect for private and family life

* freedom of thought, conscience and religion

* freedom of expression

* freedom of assembly and association

* right to marry

* prohibition of discrimination

* protection of property

* right to education

* right to free elections

* abolition of the death penalty

I'm assuming from your post, that your dog has been bitten by a rat, that in turn has been attracted to some uncleared rubbish. I'm sorry to hear that, and I truly hope the dog is OK. I know if any of my rats were bitten by a dog, that had been attracted to rubbish, that I'd be hopping mad.

However I'm not sure it counts as a human right.

I'm hoping by "revenge", you refer to some sort of legal action, but I wouldn't call matrix chambers quite yet. I'm not a lawyer, but I really don't see where your human rights have been violated.

Hope the dog pulls through.

Edited by fuzzyduck

Yes legal action is the plan, maybe some other form of PROTEST, but lets see what happens.

I am not having a go...

So I have a right to life then. So what sort of life do i have worrying about being bitten by a rat?

More concerning is the fact that MY DOG could have been A CHILD, and might still be.

As when contacting BW emergency number they stated that they would not attend a pile of rubbish and might come out sometime?

(impression i got was 'if they can be bothered')

And protection of property. Would you like to have a rat taking residence in your home. (other than a pet)

tim.

Hiya Tim

I've checked, and your Human rights are as follows

* right to life

* prohibition of torture

* prohibition of slavery and forced labour

* right to liberty and security

* right to a fair trial

* no punishment without law

* right to respect for private and family life

* freedom of thought, conscience and religion

* freedom of expression

* freedom of assembly and association

* right to marry

* prohibition of discrimination

* protection of property

* right to education

* right to free elections

* abolition of the death penalty

I'm assuming from your post, that your dog has been bitten by a rat, that in turn has been attracted to some uncleared rubbish. I'm sorry to hear that, and I truly hope the dog is OK. I know if any of my rats were bitten by a dog, that had been attracted to rubbish, that I'd be hopping mad.

However I'm not sure it counts as a human right.

I'm hoping by "revenge", you refer to some sort of legal action, but I wouldn't call matrix chambers quite yet. I'm not a lawyer, but I really don't see where your human rights have been violated.

Hope the dog pulls through.

to be honest it's unlikely that a child could corner a rat. And you amost certainly couldn't unless the rat was sick and / or injured

but i know how sharp their teeth are. Here's me being attacked by one.

IMGP0010-1.jpg

on a more serious note, if you have a problem with tipped rubbish contact your local council's environmental health department.

I love rats to but only the type that attack on command....

One of my old girlfriends used to drive to work with her pet on her shoulder moaning about her driving.

Connor was only trying to do his normal business. The rat didn't like the fact that he was trying to do it where he was at the time. And Connor is not the sort of dog that gets upset cos another animal has told him to sod off. Even the squirrels here only move to one side when he comes down through the park.

Seriously the council won't touch it as it is on the tow path. They wont admit that the trees in the park are their responsibility even though they are damaging our boats.

tim.

to be honest it's unlikely that a child could corner a rat. And you amost certainly couldn't unless the rat was sick and / or injured

but i know how sharp their teeth are. Here's me being attacked by one.

IMGP0010-1.jpg

on a more serious note, if you have a problem with tipped rubbish contact your local council's environmental health department.

More concerning is the fact that MY DOG could have been A CHILD, and might still be.

how old is your dog?

ok, just kidding, do you really think you will manage to convince a court that the presence of rats on the canal network is due to BW picking the rubbish up every 2 months rather than every two weeks?

I am also a bit worried about your use of CAPITALS, like there is Some sort of MAJOR disaster looming...

Hi

If you'd like to make a complaint you are welcome to do so, and it will give you the opportunity to air your views regarding rubbish collection and receive a formal response, rather than speculating here. Go to www.britishwaterways.co.uk/accountabilityand click on the link on the left-hand side - 'Complaints procedure'.

For reference, the emergency number you refer to and to which I assume you called regarding this issue, is for immediate and life-threatening and/or structural issues on the network. Therefore the response you say you received about appearing not to be bothered may be correct; it is similar to calling 999 when the cat is stuck in the tree next door.

I look forward to hearing from you formally.

Eugene

Hi Tim.

I would be interested to know were all these piles of rubbish have come from, I would take a guess that it was from you or some other of your fellow 'boaters'. British Waterways exist to look after the canal and immediate infrastructure that enables the waterways to function.

I live in a house and if I was to accumulate 'piles of rubbish' on or near my premises I would take it on myself to clean it up myself. In a similar way if I piled rubbish close to my boat I certainly would not expect the marina owner to clear up after me, in fact he would no doubt tell me something like "If it is still there in 24 hours, you can pack up and clear off", and you can bet that my fellow moorers would take his side.

Canals are for navigation they are not there to give a certain sector of society gain a cheap life style, BW employees are there to look after the canals, I am not surprised they will not shift your piles of rubbish, I wouldn't. Clear up your own mess!

Edited by John Orentas

is it just me, or does someone else smell a rat here?...

rats dont usually bite things for the sake of it.... but far be it from me to suggest your dog may have chased the thing?...erm, rats live out doors, thats what rats and wild life do..... and at any one time apparently, we are never more than 3 meters away from one....

we have a subculture now in this ruddy country where lots of people are always looking to blame someone else for something, and usually they are the first people to bemoan our now nanny state..... accidents do happen, but is it possible that that could simply have been such?.... It seems to me that you have been presented with a vets bill, you are now looking to compensate yourself?. Pets are costly....one accepts this when you get one.

could ask was your dog on a lead? was it rooting through the undergrowth? or even chasing the rat?....

if your that hard up, you can always take your dog to the PDSA who will treat it free(all they ask is a donation of what you can afford).

I have tried to contact BW and had no response (surprise) The unpaid mooring warden that BW appointed has tried to contact BW and had no response (surprise). And as for complaining there seems no point as it gets us no where and we get no response.

I have tried every avenue and the last resort was to say something here.

Hi

If you'd like to make a complaint you are welcome to do so, and it will give you the opportunity to air your views regarding rubbish collection and receive a formal response, rather than speculating here. Go to www.britishwaterways.co.uk/accountabilityand click on the link on the left-hand side - 'Complaints procedure'.

For reference, the emergency number you refer to and to which I assume you called regarding this issue, is for immediate and life-threatening and/or structural issues on the network. Therefore the response you say you received about appearing not to be bothered may be correct; it is similar to calling 999 when the cat is stuck in the tree next door.

I look forward to hearing from you formally.

Eugene

I have tried to contact BW and had no response (surprise) The unpaid mooring warden that BW appointed has tried to contact BW and had no response (surprise). And as for complaining there seems no point as it gets us no where and we get no response.

I dont think you should be allowed access to a keyboard mate...

of course they arent gonna pick up to phone to listem to your complaining, I for one would not.

people like you are the reason why authorities and their agents have to shield themselves from the public.

You are BW's best excuse!

It's a truism that you're never more than a few yards away from a rat, whether in town, country or canal. As far as I'm aware, a landowner can't be held legally responsible for the activities of wild animals on their land, although I think there are some species (coypu?) they have a duty to control, that's not the same as being responsible for their actions.

Just always assume that near the canal - and widdling in the water, of course - there will be rats. I put some milk (in a plastic bottle) out on the bank to keep cool one night and when I picked it up in the morning there was a neat little hole gnawed in the bottle and one perfect ratty pawprint. I must admit it didn't occur to me to sue anyone, even though I had to throw the rest of the milk away.

More importantly, ranting about 'human rights' in a situation like this is what muddies the waters around real, vital, human rights and helps the tabloid press, and even the government, dismiss and undermine them. So please don't do it.

I must admit it didn't occur to me to sue anyone, even though I had to throw the rest of the milk away.

Well more fool you.

There's a clear case of theft or criminal damage here, someone must be made to answer for this heinous act. By not pursuing some sort of action you will only have yourself to blame if they do it again. Stand up for your rights, this should be worth six figures in compo. at the very least!

Well more fool you.

There's a clear case of theft or criminal damage here, someone must be made to answer for this heinous act. By not pursuing some sort of action you will only have yourself to blame if they do it again. Stand up for your rights, this should be worth six figures in compo. at the very least!

What worries me is, what if the milk had gone off, and the rat had got a tummy ache? He might have sued me then ... And what with me not having fully comp insurance ... You just can't be too careful these days ...

Well, yea, but joking aside it really is irrisponsible of a landowner like BW to allow wildlife to just roam around without any special training. Reminds me of those signs on zoo cages...WARNING, THIS ANIMAL IS DANGEROUS, IT WILL DEFEND ITSELF IF ATTACKED. Well It's just not good enough. These animals should do some kind of risk awareness course.

I know for a fact there are 12 within a few meters of me. :banghead:

seriously Tim, email Eugene, and if its really bad, send a few snaps.

I'n not sure comments like 'you shouldn't be near a keyboard' help very much tho.

Peace.

of course it does not help, but how do you reply to a human rights call in the name of a dog thats been bitten by a rat?

All big organisations have a duty to deal with all complaints, even the downright silly stuff like the above. Some BW employee will have to spend time dealing with that person, filing the information and recording communications.

waste of time and money....

And as for complaining there seems no point as it gets us no where and we get no response.

The offer remains open as I wrote earlier. Once you have done so (if you choose to do so, of course), the answer may not get you anywhere, but that depends on what your expectations are and if they are reasonable. But at least you will have given BW a proper chance (based on my immediate offer this morning) to have its say and explain its reasoning rather than holding an open court here.

Regards, Eugene

But at least you will have given BW a proper chance .... to have its say and explain its reasoning rather than holding an open court here.

But Eugene, you should know by now that we like trying BW on here in open court at every opportunity, it's a very popular sport :)

However, in this instance, based upon the prima facie evidence and the case presented at post #1, I believe that the jury has already returned a preliminary verdict in favour of BW and summarily dismissed the plaintiff as ‘a bit of a loony who just fancied a rant’.

A final ruling has not yet been made, so should Mr. Ledbury decide to present the court with further information as to the nature, ownership and location of the rubbish in question, and why he considers it to be BW's responsibility to remove aforementioned refuse, he should speak now and present a better case for consideration.

:banghead:

Hold on....

Does that mean we're all on BW's side on this one? :)

can't have that!

mumble mumble BW shyters mumble mumble. :cheers: mutter mutter unaccountable quango mutter mutter.

I personally saw Eugene dump the rubbish himself, there's 100's of tonnes of it. :banghead::cheers:

Hold on....

Does that mean we're all on BW's side on this one? :)

can't have that!

mumble mumble BW shyters mumble mumble. :cheers: mutter mutter unaccountable quango mutter mutter.

I personally saw Eugene dump the rubbish himself, there's 100's of tonnes of it. :banghead::cheers:

Eugene was on TV yesterday.

I have not said that BW are responsible for the rubbish. (or the rat). But they are responsible for ensuring that the behavior of other residents is not detrimental to the other residents.

No I did not put the rubbish there and as this was just an exercise to see if I would get a response from BW (which I did here on this site) but not even a yes we have received your email from their complaints procedure?? :banghead:

So Eugene check your email please..... I sent it to you....

Lets live and let live and hopefully BW might even respond to an email.

I have lots to complain about but this is not the place to do it, unless BW want to air it here? This rubbish is just one little thing. But I have been quite amused with some responses that I have had and confused as to where some people come from.

If I dumped rubbish outside my boat, then when people complained I would have to clear it up. I have spoken to the person that dumped the rubbish and got nowhere so the next step is to contact the land owner. I tried that and got nowhere so I took this step here (and I did get a response from here just not from the BW site).

And so that you all can rest easy my dog is fine.....

I just hope to get a response GOOD or BAD from BW please.

As in all court cases its important to get the facts clear and that is what we need to do here.

You state that the dog was just going about his normal business!

Were I to do my normal business upon the canal towpath then I would surely be guilty of foul play wouldn’t I?

And it must be made clear my Laurd as to wether the dog was taking a P*** or a S***.

What difference doeas that make I hear you ask! (None really) From a small rats point of view to be shat on or P***** on from a great height wouldn’t be very nice would it? And as for BW being responsible – Have you ever had the slightest feeling over the years that they have ever Shat on you? (For legal reasons maybe better you don’t answer that one)

I therefore conclude that as rats are attracted to rubbish the afore mentioned rat was mearly resting in his home, You on the other hand freely allowed your dog to roam upon a towpath when you should have had it on a lead and taken it onto open fields or into the woods so that other towpath users would not have to tread in the afore mentioned business.

You are therefore found guilty and have been justly tried by your peers. You will give up your continuous cruising licence, pay mooring fees like the rest of us and refrain from ever allowing your dog from shatting on the towpath ever again. :banghead:

As in all court cases its important to get the facts clear and that is what we need to do here.

You state that the dog was just going about his normal business!

Were I to do my normal business upon the canal towpath then I would surely be guilty of foul play wouldn’t I?

And it must be made clear my Laurd as to wether the dog was taking a P*** or a S***.

What difference doeas that make I hear you ask! (None really) From a small rats point of view to be shat on or P***** on from a great height wouldn’t be very nice would it? And as for BW being responsible – Have you ever had the slightest feeling over the years that they have ever Shat on you? (For legal reasons maybe better you don’t answer that one)

I therefore conclude that as rats are attracted to rubbish the afore mentioned rat was mearly resting in his home, You on the other hand freely allowed your dog to roam upon a towpath when you should have had it on a lead and taken it onto open fields or into the woods so that other towpath users would not have to tread in the afore mentioned business.

You are therefore found guilty and have been justly tried by your peers. You will give up your continuous cruising licence, pay mooring fees like the rest of us and refrain from ever allowing your dog from shatting on the towpath ever again. :)

The prosecution rests M'lud :banghead: