Cafe boats?

Newtocanals1

Featured Posts

Hi there

Very new to the forum, a leisure mooring has become available on the Gloucester and Sharpness canal near our home. I'd like to buy a boat and trade from it on weekends, e.g. cafe or bar or sell ice cream etc. Is this reasonable or likely? I cannot find anything that says it won't be permitted but would require authorisation? There are also nearby residential moorings who may well object?

Grateful for any advice on this matter as the auction closes in 2 days :)

Thanks in advance,

Jim

With all due respect I think that you cannot rush into this on a whim - and make a decision within 2 days.

First you wil need permission from C&RT

You will need a 'trading licence

Your Safety Certificate and Insurance are different for commercial boats

If you are selling food you will need local authority (council) inspections and approval

You personally will need to take 'food handling' courses

and so on and so on.

Investigate what your market needs, put a business plan to C&RT and investigate the other requirements, then if feasible, look to buy a suitable boat and mooring.

If you are planning to trade from a fixed location then whatever C&RT decide (giving or refusing a icence) you will need planning permission from the Local Council.

If you are a Roving-Trader (moving about) then C&RT can grant / refuse the licence.

Suggest you give the business team a call on Monday.

http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/boating/boating-businesses/application-process-and-fees

Thanks for your reply. Do C&RT enable folk with leisure moorings to engage in commercial activities?

I don't know, and I would guess (WARNING), no. You'll have to ask them. Expect interesting questions about access and waste disposal

Richard