How to turn a boat around single handed ?

BlueBelle1

Featured Posts

Not sure what you mean by "inside the turning point". This is the normal way of using a winding point and I would not expect to find a boat moored so as to make it unusable. Often I have used winding points which had boats moored along the inside edges but leaving the far end of the winding point free to take the bows of a turning boat, which is fine.

On the Lancaster Canal for instance there are turning points that actually have linear moored boats paying RCT licenses for mooring up there. Don't know if this happens on other canal systems...

I find it quite challenging and enjoyable turning my 57ft in these spots because you have to anticipate well before you get anywhere near the boats and slow down with reverse. The first time I did the turn in one of these I have to say it was a daunting experience especially if the wind is against you!

If I had some pics I would post them sorry...

You know something .... all these pages and what if it windy? I mean really windy.....!! You have a choice. Either wait for the wind to die down or if it really necessary to proceed ...then read on

IF the wind is coming from behind you, you have to appreciate that sticking the 'pointy' bit into the hole means that as soon as you start to back out you are going to be treated to the pointy bit being pushed over the wrong way while you watch .... this can lead to panic!

SO, if the wind is from behind, and you have to go bow first (and that IS the 'norm') then please realise that if you stick the bow into the mud make sure you place the bow as near as possible at the beginning of the winding hole and not into the centre .... the point being that as you reverse out of the hole, (and don't be afraid) ... hit the revs! .... the wind will be pushing your bow away from where you want it to go so, if you did it ok, by the time you have gone back, you should if you are lucky, even with the bow swinging in the wrong direction, still have the whole of the winding hole to attempt to bring the front round. ... trust me, it doesn't always work out smile.png

This leads me to another point. Do not have anything of value on the roof at the front! Quite often the bow gets entwined as the wind pushes your bow most unattractively into the bushes and overhanging branches while you busily trying to extricate out of the 'black hole'! It aint pretty! sad.png

If the above happens, and the wind has pushed you into the undergrowth, just try reversing out .... depending on the wind, you can reverse faster than the bow is turning in which case you will, just before your arse hits the side, you will be able to power forwards and turn into the wind ... did I say "Simples!"

Of course, if the wind is coming towards you when you are turning, then you just need to make sure you place the bow on the windy side of the turning point and then as you back out, the wind makes life easy smile.png

Lastly, if the wind is at right angles to your point of direction, then no matter which side the winding hole ALWAYS turn your bow into the wind even if it means your arse is going into the winding hole. You have to envisualise the ending! ... Your bow is pointing into the wind, so as you start the second part of the turn, the bow is ging to be pushed by the wind..... by careful appreciation of your position with respect of the hole, the outcome can be successful and productive!

Hear endeth my first sex lesson on turning points!

You know something .... all these pages and what if it windy? I mean really windy.....!! You have a choice. Either wait for the wind to die down or if it really necessary to proceed ...then read on

IF the wind is coming from behind you, you have to appreciate that sticking the 'pointy' bit into the hole means that as soon as you start to back out you are going to be treated to the pointy bit being pushed over the wrong way while you watch .... this can lead to panic!

SO, if the wind is from behind, and you have to go bow first (and that IS the 'norm') then please realise that if you stick the bow into the mud make sure you place the bow as near as possible at the beginning of the winding hole and not into the centre .... the point being that as you reverse out of the hole, (and don't be afraid) ... hit the revs! .... the wind will be pushing your bow away from where you want it to go so, if you did it ok, by the time you have gone back, you should if you are lucky, even with the bow swinging in the wrong direction, still have the whole of the winding hole to attempt to bring the front round. ... trust me, it doesn't always work out smile.png

This leads me to another point. Do not have anything of value on the roof at the front! Quite often the bow gets entwined as the wind pushes your bow most unattractively into the bushes and overhanging branches while you busily trying to extricate out of the 'black hole'! It aint pretty! sad.png

If the above happens, and the wind has pushed you into the undergrowth, just try reversing out .... depending on the wind, you can reverse faster than the bow is turning in which case you will, just before your arse hits the side, you will be able to power forwards and turn into the wind ... did I say "Simples!"

Of course, if the wind is coming towards you when you are turning, then you just need to make sure you place the bow on the windy side of the turning point and then as you back out, the wind makes life easy smile.png

Lastly, if the wind is at right angles to your point of direction, then no matter which side the winding hole ALWAYS turn your bow into the wind even if it means your arse is going into the winding hole. You have to envisualise the ending! ... Your bow is pointing into the wind, so as you start the second part of the turn, the bow is ging to be pushed by the wind..... by careful appreciation of your position with respect of the hole, the outcome can be successful and productive!

Hear endeth my first sex lesson on turning points!

I once had all my fishing tackle/chairs and, life ring swept off the roof in an episode

An interesting piece... fellow 'Non Long Standing Member'.. Thanks

Blimey. There is so bitching going on here!

We will happily turn our boat with either the engine or the ropes. It very much depends on the situation. And I wouldn't like to say which is best or easiest.

Either or depending on the logistics.

I once had all my fishing tackle/chairs and, life ring swept off the roof in an episode

An interesting piece... fellow 'Non Long Standing Member'.. Thanks

Believe it or not, fellow non long standing member, I had a Christmas Tree stuck on my cruiser stern and when we turned at the turning point a branch grabbed the tree complete with lights and for the first time only our Christmas decorations got taken down before the appointed time :)

As 'Naughty Cal' says, "... it depends on the circumstances".

N.B. Phyllis (Naughty Cal) speaks from her perspective of twin out-drives, a huge power/displacement ratio compared to a NB, only 27' (maybe <2 tons?) and a planing hull but she does, sometimes, offer good advice.

If I am winding a relatively light boat (6-8 tonne, <40/45') and I am already on the towpath (e.g. leaving a mooring) I find it quicker to use the ropes.

If there is significant wind on the bow I can just give the bow a good shove, step aboard with the stern line and complete the turn under power.

It is unlikely that my small (6 ton, 33') narrowboat will get out of hand on ropes due to the wind but I have struggled with strong currents, even a lock by-wash.

A longer, heavier boat (e.g. 25 ton, 70' nb) has more momentum, more 'windage' (?) and is more likely to end up with both ends aground.

I have struggled to get this boat into the side on the centre rope against a moderate cross wind. I know, I should have taken bow and stern lines ashore.

Good boaters, even novices, think ahead and plan what they are going to do and learn from experience. All the above advice about prop-walk etc. may not help. On a quiet (no fishermen), wide, straight length of canal find out the characteristics of your boat. e.g. From cruising speed (no breaking wash) close the throttle, engage neutral, what happens, can you steer? Engage reverse, open the throttle, which way does the boat turn? Try again but pre-empt any turn with the rudder.

With the 33' boat I can wind almost anywhere but, assuming no significant wind or current, I will slow or even stop 15' from the rh bank and turn left because opening the throttle in forward gear turns this boat in that direction. Alternatively, I could engage reverse gear from cruising speed, turn right and possibly overshoot the wider bit of the canal.

The OP (BlueBelle) is worrying far too much about winding (turning); most novices that I have observed/supervised find it difficult to keep straight and could even involuntarily wind (turn) the boat captain.gif .

The skill of arriving at a mooring, or entering first into a wide lock tidily, especially when single-handed, is much more interesting.

With my small boat I use the 'prop-walk' to my advantage. On the left I simply head in, slowly, at a shallow angle. Just before the bow hits the side or runs aground I engage reverse which pulls the stern in. On the right is more tricky! Again, slowly at a shallow angle but full left (35°-45°) rudder a few feet out, pause, then reverse - you have, hopefully, stopped parrallel to and no more than a foot from the bank/quay.

My 70' NB with a large, slow-turning propellor (240 - 850 rpm) stops in almost a straight line and steers in astern if I have the nerve to get up speed (2mph?) and look back to the bow to judge if the boat is turning. But, unlike the small boat, I have never (except with a helpful wind) managed to come alongside nicely. However slowly I approach, on left or right, reverse pushes the stern out on a landing or the bow out in a wide lock.

HTH, Alan

As 'Naughty Cal' says, "... it depends on the circumstances".

N.B. Phyllis (Naughty Cal) speaks from her perspective of twin out-drives, a huge power/displacement ratio compared to a NB, only 27' (maybe <2 tons?) and a planing hull but she does, sometimes, offer good advice.

If I am winding a relatively light boat (6-8 tonne, <40/45') and I am already on the towpath (e.g. leaving a mooring) I find it quicker to use the ropes.

If there is significant wind on the bow I can just give the bow a good shove, step aboard with the stern line and complete the turn under power.

It is unlikely that my small (6 ton, 33') narrowboat will get out of hand on ropes due to the wind but I have struggled with strong currents, even a lock by-wash.

A longer, heavier boat (e.g. 25 ton, 70' nb) has more momentum, more 'windage' (?) and is more likely to end up with both ends aground.

I have struggled to get this boat into the side on the centre rope against a moderate cross wind. I know, I should have taken bow and stern lines ashore.

Good boaters, even novices, think ahead and plan what they are going to do and learn from experience. All the above advice about prop-walk etc. may not help. On a quiet (no fishermen), wide, straight length of canal find out the characteristics of your boat. e.g. From cruising speed (no breaking wash) close the throttle, engage neutral, what happens, can you steer? Engage reverse, open the throttle, which way does the boat turn? Try again but pre-empt any turn with the rudder.

With the 33' boat I can wind almost anywhere but, assuming no significant wind or current, I will slow or even stop 15' from the rh bank and turn left because opening the throttle in forward gear turns this boat in that direction. Alternatively, I could engage reverse gear from cruising speed, turn right and possibly overshoot the wider bit of the canal.

The OP (BlueBelle) is worrying far too much about winding (turning); most novices that I have observed/supervised find it difficult to keep straight and could even involuntarily wind (turn) the boat captain.gif .

The skill of arriving at a mooring, or entering first into a wide lock tidily, especially when single-handed, is much more interesting.

With my small boat I use the 'prop-walk' to my advantage. On the left I simply head in, slowly, at a shallow angle. Just before the bow hits the side or runs aground I engage reverse which pulls the stern in. On the right is more tricky! Again, slowly at a shallow angle but full left (35°-45°) rudder a few feet out, pause, then reverse - you have, hopefully, stopped parrallel to and no more than a foot from the bank/quay.

My 70' NB with a large, slow-turning propellor (240 - 850 rpm) stops in almost a straight line and steers in astern if I have the nerve to get up speed (2mph?) and look back to the bow to judge if the boat is turning. But, unlike the small boat, I have never (except with a helpful wind) managed to come alongside nicely. However slowly I approach, on left or right, reverse pushes the stern out on a landing or the bow out in a wide lock.

HTH, Alan

Wheres our second engine?

Not found that yet.......

If your bow is facing towards where the Parbold rose Is moored, that's a great winding spot, if not its a short trip towards the first lock of the rufford branch and from Parbold it's an hour round trip! But when you get there I would practice at winding as every varies.

I turn a 56 foot boat with two or three feet to spare at two places betwen Parbold and Rufford top lock , two hundred yards before the first swing bridge " sunken boat offside" and the same length after the swing bridge " overflow from canal " , the smaller 42 foot should be a doddle .

Hi, If you take up Trentos offer at RG. Be aware that he is an old man.very set in his

Ways, He has had loads of practice. And will gladdly let you play with his rudder. :-) But don't use his teaspoons..bit of a control freak going on.likes oppionated people so long as their oppinion matches his.:-) at least you will have a laugh.

Hi, If you take up Trentos offer at RG. Be aware that he is an old man.very set in his

Ways, He has had loads of practice. And will gladdly let you play with his rudder. :-) But don't use his teaspoons..bit of a control freak going on.likes oppionated people so long as their oppinion matches his.:-) at least you will have a laugh.

What a weird post!