Help/info please (Fasthosts)

Tony Brooks

Featured Posts

Sorry if this is in the wrong place or is considered not appropriate but my website & email service is intended to benefit all boaters.

It seems all of Fasthosts services are down including an inability to answer support phone calls. I note they seem to be in Gloucester so do any members know if they have any info about them?

Maybe they have been flooded overnight but maybe they have gone broke without telling their customers, I need to get the website and email back on.

Cheers

Here's a message on Facebook from them (posted about 10 minutes ago):

"Fasthosts Internet We are currently experiencing an outage, which we are currently urgently investigating. I will update the page once I have more information. Please accept our sincere apologies for the disruption."

That's a long established name.

I'll be surprised if the flooding has got them, I'd have expected some sort of mirroring to another site to exist in the event of a whole building failure, but I know next to nothing about the hosting business.

MtB

Here's another bit of very recent news from another customer of theirs:

"Just got through to support on the phone, apparently due to the severe weather they have connectivity issues to the datacentre, I just hope this is fixed by Mon. morning or I will have some very unhappy customers!!"

I have servers at Fasthosts for the radio network and all if my streams are down too. Eventual I got through to them and they confirm they had a power outage at 8 AM this morning. Although they have standby generators which kicked in protecting the servers, a lot of the network infrastructure wasn't under this control. So some of the network routing and ancillary equipment like support servers wasn't protected.

The are hoping for end of Play today for a full service.

My virtual servers are up but I cant ssh into them and they need power cycling. I do have some back-doors put into my servers but as yet I cant get to them as the network is down.

I think they are only n+1 on power unlike Sungard or Rackspace which are 2N minimum.

You get what you pay for. I get unlimited bandwidth and a virtual server for £40 a month. Sungard charge £5313 pa for 1KW power/cooling and £600 perm Mb for Bandwidth. (I was a Solution Architect for them)..