Starter motor mystery!

Squeezy

Featured Posts

Hi all and merry Christmas! I doubt anyone will be reading this for a while but here goes!

Prior to leaving to visit relatives for a couple of days, with my security head on, I removed and hid the two isolator switch keys from the engine and had a brainwave to remove the positive spade connector to the starter button. On our return I put the two isolator switch keys back and went to reattach the spade connector to the back of the switch and each time I connect it the starter motor fires up! I have no idea why this is happening but I'm reluctant to get the engine going in case the starter motor keeps going once she fires up. Can anyone give advice please. I don't mind if it starts with a huge sigh! We're stuck without water and gradually dimming lights until this is sorted!! Cheers, Squeezy.

My guess is that in removing the connector you have disturbed the contacts in the switch which are now together all the time.

Do you have a multimeter that you can test the switch with?.....I take it we are talking about a simple push switch here?

You could briefly connect the wire while the engine starts then leave it disconnected when it's running.

I take it you have another switch which energises the alternator etc?

Cheers

Gareth

Edited to add....

You are connecting the disturbed wire to the right side of the switch aren't you?.....how many terminals are on the switch?....if it's on the "live" side of the switch then it may explain what's happening.

Edited by frangar

The starter button connects the positive supply to the starter solonoid. Ergo the button must be stuck. temp fix use thew spade connector to start the engine then disconnect the spade connector and wrap tape round it. Are you sure that you are connecting to the right male spade or using the double spade on the soloniod side?

Aw thanks fellas! Christmas spirit lives! Ok so, the button is a simple button switch and it is located under the fuse panel. It has just two spade connectors on the rear. There's no option for mistakes. (I hope!) There are two 'toggle' type switches next to it that have lights below that go out once the engine is started, I've always assumed these were the switches pertaining to the alternators. I do have a multi-meter somewhere but where.... So you think it's safe to start the engine and then remove the spade connector? I've had a look at the switch but there's no obvious way in! It was my first thought as guilty party but I wasn't sure. Thanks again, Squeezy

I would treat the spade connector just like the switch.....touch it till the engine starts then as suggested tape it up to be safe.....everything should then work as normal. Just check the batteries are charging...eg warning lights out...ammeter showing charge etc.

Just do everything else apart from the start switch as you normal would.

Cheers

Gareth

I would treat the spade connector just like the switch.....touch it till the engine starts ....

Just do everything else apart from the start switch as you normal would.

Its hard to get the full context via the interweb, but that sounds like what I would do.

Daniel

Hiya, I just tried jerry rigging a spare switch into the circuit and it worked fine, so button switch stuck as you guys suggested. Thanks loads fellas. It difficult to problem solve when you're not experienced enough to know whether trying the things you feel may work won't bugger something expensive!

I shall be raising a glass of something unhealthy but pleasant to you shortly. Merry Christmas!

Hang a light bulb off your now vacant ignition switch terminal to -ve and it will come on. Leave it alone and soon it will fade out and Bob's yer proverbial. Or if you're feeling brave just show it a -ve for a few flashes and most likely the sparks will stop after the first flash and once again Uncle Bob fills his pipe and nods with satisfaction.