Lancaster Canal

Burgiesburnin

Featured Posts

We have just booked a boat on the Lancaster for just after Easter.

I have always been fascinated by that part of the country and this is a holiday that I have wanted to do for a long time.

When I eventually get a boat it would be one of the first places I would head for from around the Wigan, Parbold and Scarisbrick area.

I am far from being confident enough at the moment to do the Ribble Link so renting on the Lancaster is a great way of seeing it without doing the Link.

If the Lancaster is half as good as I hope it is then I will have no problem doing the Link in the future to get there.

Any places not to be missed?

We have just booked a boat on the Lancaster for just after Easter.

I have always been fascinated by that part of the country and this is a holiday that I have wanted to do for a long time.

When I eventually get a boat it would be one of the first places I would head for from around the Wigan, Parbold and Scarisbrick area.

I am far from being confident enough at the moment to do the Ribble Link so renting on the Lancaster is a great way of seeing it without doing the Link.

If the Lancaster is half as good as I hope it is then I will have no problem doing the Link in the future to get there.

Any places not to be missed?

Make sure you get to the top and have a look at where the top part of the canal was killed off by the M6 and A 6070.

A walk from the basin at Tewitfield up past the locks is interesting if you like to see old derelict canal structures (I do!)

The Lancaster was closed off for so long it has become a little world of its own, as said Glasson dock is a must with a 10 minute walk to the smokehouse and a cup of Bovril at the bikers' caravan. Lancaster city is well worth a walk round, the canal goes right through the middle of it, one of the last high streets around. Remember if you get to the north end of the canal it's Twetfield to the locals but pronounced Chew-it-field by the newbies in the posh houses, it's a contraction of The Wet Field so T'wetfield. Other than that it's been catering for boaters for years so there are plenty of things to see albeit a bit quiet out of season, and some lovely views over Morcambe bay.

K

http://www.glassondock.co.uk/smokehouse.htm

I assume you have the boat for a week so you will comfortably reach all three ends: Tewitfield, Glasson, and Preston. As others have said, Glasson is not to be missed and will be your only chance to play with some locks. If you want to stretch your legs at Tewitfield, it is a fascinating walk to Kendal (about 14 miles) via the now isolated Northern Reaches. From Kendal there is an excellent bus service that brings you right back to Tewitfield. If walking's not your thing just enjoy a leisurely cruise and some great countryside, pubs, towns and villages, stopping off at Lancaster city of course.