water pump delay, annoying

snooky jo

Featured Posts

My water pump often takes ages to pump water through., i have checked the system for leaks, added a compression tank and still the problem persists. there is no way to adjust the pressure on the pump.

the pump is not that old and the problem has been going on pretty much since i first installed it. Do you think i just have a faulty pump or i need a hight power pump?

If you disconnect the outlet pipe from your pump...and then start your pump, you'll be able to see the water flow coming out the pump. (and decide if the blockage is therefore downstream of the pump or not.). If the pump "sounds" slow....then it could be your batteries are flat. Most pumps are diaphragm types, and when batteries are charged, the pump should make a bright..sound...but flat batteries cause the pump sound to go deeper....and oscillate slower...more like a thud thud thud than a diggadiggadigga smile.png

If the pump "sounds" like it's running fast, but the flow out the pump is slow...it could be a blockage on the infeed side...from the water tank..

Hope it helps.

ETA - your water pipes should always be in a state of positive pressure....so the moment you open a tap, the pump should start up...(by recognising the drop in line pressure). Does it do that? I'm sure it does, because if there was no pressure in the pipe, the pump should be trying to fix that by starting up. So IF there is already pressure in the line, I cant see how it would "take some time" to get the water through...it would be immediate. Are you perhaps talking about the hot water side of things?

Edited by DeanS

if you have a JABSCO model 31395-0292 there is a plastic cover over the wire connections, if you take this off( 1 screw ) you will find another screw, try turning it

clockwise by half turn. this resolved my problem which had the same symptoms. this tip may also apply to other pumps?

My water pump often takes ages to pump water through., i have checked the system for leaks, added a compression tank and still the problem persists. there is no way to adjust the pressure on the pump.

the pump is not that old and the problem has been going on pretty much since i first installed it. Do you think i just have a faulty pump or i need a hight power pump?

What's your definition of "Takes ages to pump water through"?

Are we talking about turning the tap on and there is no water flow for ages, or when you turn the tap on there is water but at a low flow so it takes ages to fill a sink/kettle??

I would suspect the latter. Check that there are no isolation valves partly turned off, or pipe work kinked or otherwise damaged restricting flow.

is the breather clear on your water tank or are you creating a vacuum, take the cap off and see if any difference.

Edited by Pete & Helen

The most used tap on my boat is in the `kitchen`, its a nixer tap and it has a filter thingy on the end of it that sonetimes blocks with bits, turn it on, slow pressure drop, pump takes ages to sense the pressure drop. easy to fix, unscrew the end and shake the bits out.

if you have a JABSCO model 31395-0292 there is a plastic cover over the wire connections, if you take this off( 1 screw ) you will find another screw, try turning it

clockwise by half turn. this resolved my problem which had the same symptoms. this tip may also apply to other pumps?

Yes you can. Adjust the pressure on Shurflo pumps, screw is at the end of the pump body.

Phil

There shouldn't be any need to adjust the pressure on a pump. Turning the adjuster the wrong way could cause enough pressure to damage the calorifier.

What pressure are calorifiers tested to? Increasing the pump pressure would only result in less than 1 Bar rise.

Maybe MtB will come along and give us heads up.

Phil

Just thought about this, surely the pressure in the calofier will not exceed that of the PRV

Edited by Phil Ambrose