P2P IP Security Cameras

jckm2000

Featured Posts

Hi folks,

After a recent spate of breakins round here I'm looking at fitting one of the above. Not sure if I can use a wifi hotspot (via cellphone ) to connect it to the web or will I need a mifi router.

Has anyone fitted these things? Any tips?

Cheers,

C.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi don't know if you are still looking at doing this or not. The problem will be accessing the mobile phone from the internet. As it's not a fixed up address you will need a dynamic dns to do it and then this will need a way of connecting to the changing ip if your on an android phone there are apps that can do it. Also the providers filers may stop it but you could use a vpn to get round that too. It might be easyer to set up a system with a hidden router and hard drive attached to record stuff.

If you're prepared to spend the money (and it can be quite a lot depending on how far you go up the range) Axis IP Cameras can do this for you. You obviously need to provide an internet connection, for which a MiFi sounds ideal, unless you can get onto a decent wifi network in which case go with a wireless router.

Don't waist your money as these cctv set ups are useless even in good light never mind in pool lighting conditions. I don't think mobile internet is the best things for these setups as you will be uploading a lot of date to your home.