Charging through Adverc Alt Controller

plainsman

Featured Posts

As I understand things my Adverc controls the charge to the domestic bank and somehow also the starter battery and bow thruster battery.The sensor wire from the Adverc is attached to the domestic bank. So in effect I have three 'banks' each separated by a blocking diode. How does the Adverc fulfil the different charge requirements for each bank? Will it fully charge the starter and thruster?

Thanks

Obviously one can't be categoric without seeing the exact layout, but if each battery is fed through a diode, and if the Adverc is sensing the voltage at one of the batteries, they should end up all being charged at 14.4v or whatever the Adverc is set to. However in the initial period of charging, most of the current will be taken by the battery at the lowest state of charge so if you start the engine with low domestic bank, it may take a while before the starter battery is fully recharged because the domestics will be pulling the alternator voltage down (bulk mode). But as the domestic charge states improves, the starter battery will begin to charge. If the BT battery is in the bow, the voltage drop along the cable may result in it taking a while to get fully charged, but it will get there eventually (and why would you want to use the BT anyway!). I would say that the system as you describe it is pretty optimal given the constraint of only 1 alternator.

I am not aware of any external alternator regulators offering sensing on other than one battery. Its usually suggested to place the sensing wire on the largest/most demanding battery bank. This means the other batteries, particularly the usually single starter battery will run a a higher charge voltage which may reduce its life long term and will certainly cause gassing and require topping up of electrolyte if open cell.

The best answer I have found is to use a Sterling zero volt drop splitter. The three output one I have charges initially starter, then adds domestic then bowthruster in that order when the preceeding one has reached 13.3 volts. There is a dedicated sense terminal in order to use it with an external alternator regulator and they eventually all charge at the same voltage.

I am not aware of any external alternator regulators offering sensing on other than one battery. Its usually suggested to place the sensing wire on the largest/most demanding battery bank. This means the other batteries, particularly the usually single starter battery will run a a higher charge voltage which may reduce its life long term and will certainly cause gassing and require topping up of electrolyte if open cell.

The best answer I have found is to use a Sterling zero volt drop splitter. The three output one I have charges initially starter, then adds domestic then bowthruster in that order when the preceeding one has reached 13.3 volts. There is a dedicated sense terminal in order to use it with an external alternator regulator and they eventually all charge at the same voltage.

Obviously one can't be categoric without seeing the exact layout, but if each battery is fed through a diode, and if the Adverc is sensing the voltage at one of the batteries, they should end up all being charged at 14.4v or whatever the Adverc is set to. However in the initial period of charging, most of the current will be taken by the battery at the lowest state of charge so if you start the engine with low domestic bank, it may take a while before the starter battery is fully recharged because the domestics will be pulling the alternator voltage down (bulk mode). But as the domestic charge states improves, the starter battery will begin to charge. If the BT battery is in the bow, the voltage drop along the cable may result in it taking a while to get fully charged, but it will get there eventually (and why would you want to use the BT anyway!). I would say that the system as you describe it is pretty optimal given the constraint of only 1 alternator.

Thanks both for the info, makes it clear. Waiting for the deluge regarding thrusters though