Solid fuel in a Diesel Stove?

ETS Jess

Featured Posts

Is there any major difference in structure between a multi-fuel, wood burner type stove and a Diesel stove, e.g. a Bubble?

Basically i'm pretty broke this month and I've very little money for Diesel, but due to my job I have lots of fire wood available.

Could I burn it in my Diesel stove?

Would the wood resin block the diesel pipe work?

Would the wood burn too hot?

Would the flue/chimney block with the wood smoke?

I've not had any hands on experience with a wood/multi-fuel stove, only the diesel, so i'm unaware of any differences.

I'm not in any real danger of freezing, I get paid at the end of the month ;) but just pondering options...

Jess

NB Gracie

Hi Jess,

I'm not conversant with Bubble stoves in particular - - but I don't think you could ever burn solid fuel in a diesel stove, apart from the fact that you'd ruin the diesel burner - there's no facility for an ash grate or ash removal.

You either need to wrap up warm or find someone to 'sub' you some diesel

Hi jess, welcome and sorry but it not be a good thing to burn wood in a diesel heater. The construction is all wrong and apart from ruining the drip feed control you would probably warp/distort the whole job no the more I think about it the more I shudder at the prospect.

Sorry mate just bite the bullet,wrap up warm and wait till the EOM

Phil

Hi Jess

Three replies and three say no.

Just in case you are unsure wink.png

No, no, no never in a month of Sundays could you possibly burn solid fuel in a diesel fired stove.

Well you could but not only may it be dangerous but it would wreck it.

Is there no one that could give you a cuddle.smile.png

Another "no", based on having a boat which used to have a diesel stove and replacing it with a solid fuel stove. The constructional differences are like chalk & cheese. Flue different size & material, completely different airflow arrangement within stove, no grate, etc would mean that after about 10 mins of burning a log in a diesel stove, it would either go out (airflow not right) or distort something (solid fuel burns hotter than diesel). Then once the ash built up, no way of cleaning it out except by letting the stove cool and disassembling the burner to get to the ash - and it would still have gotten into places you can't reach.