Random rookie questions about buttys

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

At least one (and no more than two) Associated Canal Carriers Ltd. / Grand Union Canal Carrying Company Ltd. butty had gunwales that could be walked on.

Yes, I was thinking of those also.

A picture in the Summer 2009 edition of Narrow Boat shows GUCCCo "Count", which it says was purchased by ACC in 1934 from Bells United Asbestos Co.

It explains the boats, (it seems that Countess may have been similar?), were originally operated by Bells without cabins, which were added later. I imagine this might explain an otherwise unusual arrangement?

I'm sure Pete already knows all this, (assuming what is in the magazine is correct!), but others may be interested that such exceptions existed even in the 1930s.

Yes, I was thinking of those also.

A picture in the Summer 2009 edition of Narrow Boat shows GUCCCo "Count", which it says was purchased by ACC in 1934 from Bells United Asbestos Co.

It explains the boats, (it seems that Countess may have been similar?), were originally operated by Bells without cabins, which were added later. I imagine this might explain an otherwise unusual arrangement?

I'm sure Pete already knows all this, (assuming what is in the magazine is correct!), but others may be interested that such exceptions existed even in the 1930s.

Ermm !!!!! I wonder if you can guess who wrote the caption for the photograph of COUNT in the Summer 2009 edition of NarrowBoat, although my version was subjected to a little editorial addition.

Ermm !!!!! I wonder if you can guess who wrote the caption for the photograph of COUNT in the Summer 2009 edition of NarrowBoat, although my version was subjected to a little editorial addition.

Yes,

I rather thought I knew who might be involved in some of this, but hopefully it is of wider interest to some reading this who don't actually take the magazine.