Marina Plans For Wrenbury Village Centre

Big Dig 1991

Featured Posts

The plans are in for Wrenbury Village Centre Marina

http://s1004.photobucket.com/user/enamelgarden/library/?sort=3&page=1 Here, I hope, are two pictures of what the development will look like.

There will be a loss of a well used camping and caravan field plus some towpath moorings and I do wonder if the very presence of the marina with its lights and noise will deter boaters from mooring in Wrenbury while cruising, resulting in a loss of income for village businesses. The proposers trumpet the increased business for the local shop, but when I was in a marina I shopped on route in a supermarket and on arrival, I went cruising.

There are marinas with empty berths in the vicinity and I wonder what effect 200 extra boats will have on The Llangollen. Delays already happen so will extra boats increase these and deter visitors to the canal either because of time restraints or because it has simply become too hectic ?

I appreciate marinas have breathed new life into some of our cities, but in a tiny village its a different story. Should we not fight to preserve the very character of Wrenbury which I am sure many of you will agree has peaceful and pretty towpath moorings with very good facilites. Two pubs, a shop, buses and a train to name just a few.

Here is a link to the plans

http://planning.cheshireeast.gov.uk/applicationdetails.aspx?pr=13/4286N&row=1&query=b8c360c24c7f4d48a98ed7f7db81d3b8&from=i

Comments must be received by noon on 27th of November 2013

The plans are in for Wrenbury Village Centre Marina

http://s1004.photobucket.com/user/enamelgarden/library/?sort=3&page=1 Here, I hope, are two pictures of what the development will look like.

There will be a loss of a well used camping and caravan field plus some towpath moorings and I do wonder if the very presence of the marina with its lights and noise will deter boaters from mooring are regular rock shows planned then??in Wrenbury while cruising, resulting in a loss of income for village businesses. The proposers trumpet the increased business for the local shop, but when I was in a marina I shopped on route in a supermarket and on arrival, I went cruising.

There are marinas with empty berths in the vicinity and I wonder what effect 200 extra boats will have on The Llangollen. Delays already happen so will extra boats increase these and deter visitors to the canal either because of time restraints or because it has simply become too hectic ?

I appreciate marinas have breathed new life into some of our cities, but in a tiny village its a different story. Should we not fight to preserve the very character of Wrenbury which I am sure many of you will agree has peaceful and pretty towpath moorings with very good facilites. Two pubs, a shop, buses and a train to name just a few.

Here is a link to the plans

http://planning.cheshireeast.gov.uk/applicationdetails.aspx?pr=13/4286N&row=1&query=b8c360c24c7f4d48a98ed7f7db81d3b8&from=i

Comments must be received by noon on 27th of November 2013

Welcome to the forum.

It sound like you are against it.

If there are already moorings vacancies locally, why would a new marina add 200 new boats. Perhaps there would be a spread of boats along the canal, even easing congestion at the usual pinch points.

There are actually TWO applications for marinas in Wrenbury. Change search criteria to description and enter 'marina' as the search term.

What is very sneaky is that the one at Wrenbury Heath was closed to applications on 7th November, yet the developers were allowed to submit an amended document on 14th November, even though it was dated November 2012 (this application was first submitted in 2009). In this submitted document they reaffirm the need for loads more marina spaces , despite the number of vacant berths in the area. They also say the nearest marina is Whixall, 19km away, neatly forgetting Swanley only a couple of miles away!

Strong local opposition, largely due to the impact of more boats on the appallingly slow lift bridge.

More information in the Winter edition of the Shropshire Union Canal Society's magazine "Cuttings".

Edited by dor

Would this be on the camping field of the Cotton Arms pub ?

It will certainly add more traffic to the system, but with any luck it will remove the many wrenbury hire boats which are always tied up on the visitor moorings or tied to the railings where you need to moor to do the bridge single handed...

Casp'

Edited by casper ghost

Would this be on the camping field of the Cotton Arms pub ?

One is nearer Swanley, just by the dangerous dog-leg bridge. The other one, as mentioned here, is indeed more or less behind the Cotton Arms and the church.

Both can be seen with maps on the Cheshire East planning site - http://planning.cheshireeast.gov.uk/ApplicationSearch.aspx

Change search option to description of development and enter "marina".

Scroll down and you can look at the detailed planning documents, as well as comments from members of the public.

ETA: as at 22:10, service is "currently unavailable"

Edited by dor