Have they changed Stoveglow to non-smokeless?

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

No brassiers, to keep their chests warm, like a kaolin poltice to ward off nasty chills and coughs.

Of course these chaps could have been transvestite watchmen sitting huddled over their brassiers all night dressed in miniskirts and high heels.

Or could also have been night watch women.

Oi! I'm on Night Watch. I don't wear a bra! I have thermals.

Martyn

We are on our second 6 bag batch of Stoveglow from Midland at £54 (25kl). Didn't realise not authorised for smokeless etc. it does say on the bags at the bottom. As I bought from a chandlers I'd expect that it would have been smokeless. Or pointed out to me that it isn't. Buyers beware I guess.

Stoveglow works fine for me,no problems. A bit smokey when a shovel of coal added but it soon settles down.

I will buy smokeless next time,and mention this to Midland when next in.

Edited by Nightwatch
  • Greenie 1

Oi! I'm on Night Watch. I don't wear a bra! I have thermals.

Martyn

We are on our second 6 bag batch of Stoveglow from Midland at £54 (25kl). Didn't realise not authorised for smokeless etc. it does say on the bags at the bottom. As I bought from a chandlers I'd expect that it would have been smokeless. Or pointed out to me that it isn't. Buyers beware I guess.

Stoveglow works fine for me,no problems. A bit smokey when a shovel of coal added but it soon settles down.

I will buy smokeless next time,and mention this to Midland when next in.

I mentioned it in the Mercia MC last time this came up. They just shrugged and pointed out that the smoke control regs don't apply to boats.

Been using my test bag of Stoveglow for the last 24 hours and all good so far. There's a little more smoke that the Pureheat I was using, whilst Pureheat would make visible smoke when first added to the fire, the Stoveglow makes it continuously, but it's not much and not bad, certainly not the "dead badger in the stove" effect you get with housecoal. There's much less ash than from Pureheat, and it's stayed in fine even at lowest tickover.

MP.

interesting. Don't they?

Genuine question.

No, boat stoves are classed as a "mobile furnace " so the smoke control acts don't apply. You can still come to the attention of the Enviro Health dept of the LA for creating a nuisance, though.

There have been threads about this in the past, but my mobile connection is being stroppy today so I'm not going to go hunting for them just now.