3G Phone?

JonA

Featured Posts

I use one in my laptop, but I rarely get a signal, infact in 450+ miles of travel I've only had 3G on the Thames (perfect 3G all the way from Reading to Oxford on Vodafone).

However - I didn't even get 3G near Vodafone headoffice on the K&A last year.

I'm on T-Mobile now and I've never had a 3G signal anywhere on that - except from our office which has a 3G aerial across the road.

It's still a city centre only service from my experience. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has found a signal from the cut.

Matt.

(edited spelling as usual)

Edited by matt

I've had the 3G data card for about 18 months. Only in the last 3 have I started getting a 3G signal from anywhere, we've had quite a strong signal on our mooring (North London) for a couple of months now, so I'm guessing there must be a new mast. We're also on a river, not in a cut, we are quite exposed (as in my wind generator actually gets enough of a wind to work!).Does make a difference when you get it though, GPRS is excruciatingly slow. We're on Vodafone.

I've had the 3G data card for about 18 months. Only in the last 3 have I started getting a 3G signal from anywhere, we've had quite a strong signal on our mooring (North London) for a couple of months now, so I'm guessing there must be a new mast. We're also on a river, not in a cut, we are quite exposed (as in my wind generator actually gets enough of a wind to work!).Does make a difference when you get it though, GPRS is excruciatingly slow. We're on Vodafone.

I've also got a Vodaphone 3G data card. Can only get GPRS where I am moored but if I walk to the end of my jetty (about 60 yards) to the car park I can get 3G! Infuriating or what? As you might expect, I can get 3G whilst out cruising when near to main roads or in towns.

Edders.

Perhaps we ought to compile a list of places with decent 3G coverage? Worcester City centre has a strong TMobile 3G signal, and you can pick a signal up in Pershore, on the Avon, although only on the public moorings - not on my private one!

BTW I think tomandsophie use a 3G phone but rather than have an external aerial they use the phone as an aerial, and connect to the laptop via bluetooth. They can leave the phone outside if the signal is weak. It's been said many times, but TMobile is the best value.

Edited by Breals

I remember looking at a 3G operator map a couple of years ago - not long after it was launched - and there was some really odd cells in places like deepest Scotland.

Couple that with the excellent coverage on the Thames all the way to Oxford and a cynical person could think the best coverage is where the telco execs have holiday homes or boats.

Matt

I remember looking at a 3G operator map a couple of years ago - not long after it was launched - and there was some really odd cells in places like deepest Scotland.

Couple that with the excellent coverage on the Thames all the way to Oxford and a cynical person could think the best coverage is where the telco execs have holiday homes or boats.

Matt

I've never found 3g in a year of having it. The gprs is loads quicker though when I switched from my alcatel phone to the sony ericsson I have now. (Orange btw)

Perhaps we ought to compile a list of places with decent 3G coverage? Worcester City centre has a strong TMobile 3G signal, and you can pick a signal up in Pershore, on the Avon, although only on the public moorings - not on my private one!

BTW I think tomandsophie use a 3G phone but rather than have an external aerial they use the phone as an aerial, and connect to the laptop via bluetooth. They can leave the phone outside if the signal is weak. It's been said many times, but TMobile is the best value.

Well that would certainly work and overcome the aerial problem. It would seem that external aerial sockets are pretty much a thing of the past and the manufacturers just don't see any reason to fit them now. Thanks for the replies, Jon

The Pop-Port™ interface is the new interface of the next generation of mobile phones and users. Pop-Port interface enables several functions to be incorporated into one interface, providing the link you have been waiting for.

Designed for the mobile environment and supporting advanced functions, the Pop-Port common system interface for accessories enables new and exciting products and widening your selection of phone add-ons. It will be possible to control cameras, digital music players, and stereo headsets - to name but a few - through your phone menu using the Pop-Port interface system connector. And as the Pop-Port interface will be the standard across several Nokia phone models, it will enable better compatibility between your phone and accessories, allowing for more intelligent control of your mobile life.

Use a Ca55 converter this gives you a arial point for any pop port Nokia.

I use one in my laptop, but I rarely get a signal, infact in 450+ miles of travel I've only had 3G on the Thames (perfect 3G all the way from Reading to Oxford on Vodafone).

However - I didn't even get 3G near Vodafone headoffice on the K&A last year.

I'm on T-Mobile now and I've never had a 3G signal anywhere on that - except from our office which has a 3G aerial across the road.

It's still a city centre only service from my experience. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has found a signal from the cut.

Matt.

(edited spelling as usual)

I am at Bulls Lock, east end of Newbury, and have a 2-3/5 bar signal with 3G (384Kbps) from Vodafone without an external aerial. It is better in the centre of the town but there is no 3G service west of the A34 until Kintbury to Hungerford, then no 3G until Devizes.

The Vodafone coverage map seems to reflect this except that there is virtually no signal around Marsh Benham (Hampstead Lock); even voice calls are one way, receive only.

OTOH When I bought my Vodafone Mobile Connect card (perhaps two years ago?) the manager of the Vodafone shop in Newbury admitted that the experts could not get the demo working in their sales area; it only worked in the back room.

They now have a 3G High Speed system (1.4Mbps) but you have to buy a new card to get it. They seem to have no plans to extend the coverage in the next six months but, apparently, most transmitters will be converted to High Speed by then.

Alan Saunders