First Mate Guides

Hastings

Featured Posts

It's been noted on this forum that the excellent First Mate Guides have been discontinued. They weren't canal guides as such, but guides to facilities, shops, churches, doctors etc near the canal.

However, the last version has now just been uploaded to the web, so that you can download them (the seven volumes cover most areas). The author, Carole Sampson, asks that you make a donation, which seems more than reasonable. We used to sell First Mate Guides, and they varied in price from £10 to £12 per book, though I suspect that Carole isn't expecting that amount. Do note that there are unlikely to be updates to the guides.

I feel that I shouldn't really tell you that the guides are available, as we sell canal books and maps, but these aren't available as hard copies, and we are often asked for them still.

You can find the guides at www.firstmateguides.co.uk

Peter

Thank you, I found these the most useful books that I had on the boat. It's a pity someone didn't take these on who could have kept the updates current.

From what I was able to find out some months ago they were bought by a guy in Kidderminster supposedly with the intention of continuing. Can't imagine why he bought them as nothing seems to have happened.

From what I was able to find out some months ago they were bought by a guy in Kidderminster supposedly with the intention of continuing. Can't imagine why he bought them as nothing seems to have happened.

I believe that's why Carole got them back, but couldn't find anyone to do the updating and publishing, so she has uploaded them as they stand.

Peter

Perhaps they should be released as a wiki so they can be updated. Alternatively could they be merged with Canal planner...?

They've been released as pdf files, and I suspect that's as far as it will go. Anything else is likely to require an awful lot of work by the author, and I suspect that's not what she wants!