Basingstoke Update

Leo No2

Featured Posts

Some of you may be aware that I have had a very close relationship with the Basingstoke Canal which has had trying times since the formal reopening in May-1991. I have since moved to Stoke Bruerne (unclassified road to motorway!) but I still keep an interested eye on the happenings of the Basingstoke which is really a most beautiful canal.

I browsed the Basingstoke Canal Society website last night (http://www.basingstoke-canal.org.uk) to see how things had progressed since our 'reopening' trip over the extremely cold Easter of 2013 and was delighted to read that so much progress is being made on what one commentator has described as the 'forgotten' canal. It is well worth considering for a 2014 trip which you could combine with the Thames and the delightful River Wey and Godalming Navigations.

We were one of the boats that didn't make the Easter trip this year as red boards on the Thames prevented our getting there.

So on our way back from Lancaster this year to our home mooring near Uxbridge booked the Basingstoke for a Saturday to Saturday in August. It was beautiful and very peaceful and a bit weedy in places but nothing to worry about. And, since March, the landslip at Dogmersfield had been stabilised enabling us to get to the limit of navigation at Odiham.

Thoroughly recommend it!

Mick

Edited by zodiak

• 2 months later...