Historic image collection

Derek R.

Featured Posts

Hoping Mark Pullinger doesn't mind, but over on London canal scape Mark has linked to a collection he has been building through Pinterest.

http://www.pinterest.com/boatbrains/historic-london-canal-waterway-images/

It's an online pinboard in effect, and is full of images many of which I have never seen before (no surprise there). Most of all, if you click on an image, you may find the image simply enlarged, or as in several cases it opens up a complete compendium of historic information and associated images. You could spend all day searching through there are so many.

Maps that lead to East London from the air with locations of specific works and their potted histories.

PS:

Example: Click on 'Regent's Canal Dock Limehouse London' and this image is enlarged so:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/462533824200262364/

- but click again on the new image, and on the "next page" there is BARON as PEARL in Oldbury and Aylesbury with a nice shot of the canopy over the cut and warehouse.

Edited by Derek R.

No probs Derek.

My plan was to use Pinterest to collate applicable images found on other websites, using the Pinterest feature that allows direct access to the original image. Due to the way some websites are formatted, I was unable to include a link to the relevant full webpage and had to use the image location as the link to allow inclusion in the board.

The image captions haven't been gone through yet - most automatically utilise the caption used on the original website.

I'm hoping to add geographic locations to each pic soon too.

If anyone is aware of additional suitable pics on other websites, please post the links.

Mark

Hello Mark - I think it is you I have to thank for that photo of Python in Little Venice that Laurence shared a couple of days ago. That has a huge smile factor that will spread like ripples through the pond of the Python crew!

Now you have opened up another whole world of photo's - there are some cracking images there and I suspect there are a whole load of us who are now working out how Pinterest works!

Thank you.

A BCN (or other area/topic) Pinterest Board could be an interesting H&H group project ... Multiple editors on group boards can easily be set up if desired....

I think it could be a great way to sort through the images and put them into some sort of order so people hunting for specific types of images can be directed to the correct board

I am hoping some of the people who have a good understanding of what the images show (places, boats and people) will have some time to help with a project like that.