Working from boat

Burgiesburnin

Featured Posts

I suggested a few weeks ago that a section could used for a "work from boat" section where people that did could make it known that they did and get custom from site members.

Next months Waterways World is running a feature on people that do work from boat.

They feature a coal and diesel business, fender maker, a salon, electrical services and a portrait photographer.

Sorry, finger trouble. Meant to put it under Living afloat main heading.

Edited by Burgiesburnin

I work from my boat, but it's "work from home" ie, my home office, not trading in anything. I assume I don't need a trading licence to do this?! Genuine question, as I was not in any doubt before but now I am not sure!

I don't think so but I don't know.

I was think about all the boats I pass advertising things they paint,make,sell where as the boats at Birmingham market all have to pay for trading licenses.

I think Brian is probably correct, what Stary is doing does not really fall into the trading category. However we all know how CRT/BW like to move goalposts. I would certainly hope that any traders being promoted by WW are in fact legally licenced by CRT. The categories referred to in the posters original topic would all require trading licences.

Regulated Traders section on CRT website.

http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/boating/boating-businesses/starting-a-new-boating-business/regulated-traders

Does beg questions, if you work from your boat, about claiming business tax allowances, insurance, public liability, etc. etc. even if you aren't selling coal or fenders.

Edited by Québec

The link takes you to the requirements for traders who may allow public access to their boat. Most of us selling such as craft items fall into the low risk trader category where the requirements are slightly less onerous. If anyone feels they might need a traders lic they should discuss it with CRT who will offer advice, I still feel IMHO that Stary`s position does not.