SR3 Oil Dilution Leaky Pump Removal

clbrof

Featured Posts

Hi, I have managed to find the source of my oil dilution thanks to Peter Thompson's troubleshooting guide for the matter. Injector 2's delivery valve holder is leaking diesel. I have put everything back to how it was (still leaking). Luckily I have found my decompressors on the rocker covers to work! If the worst should happen and the engine run-away!

IMG_20130911_011509_zps1ba16fd3.jpg

I tried to further tighten the holder however on inspection the metal was a bit distorted leading me to believe this had been tried in the past. I now need to have that particular pump reconditioned.

I need to apply the diesel stopcock and drain the diesel out of the pump. I spoke with a company who can recondition the pump for around £100, they said its not difficult to remove the pump.

Any other hints/pointers as to removing a pump from the SR3? Thanks

Edited by clbrof

Are you sure it's not the bleed screw (slotted screw at the bottom of your red circle) that's leaking? They have copper sealing washers which work-harden over time. Diesel flows easily, and it's not always easy to see where it;s coming from.

If it is that, annealing the copper washer, replacing it, or (best of all) replacing it with an M6 Dowty washer will improve things. All much easier first steps than an overhaul.

See this thread for how I know this. http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=56728&hl=

MP.

Hi Moomin Papa

Yes I am pretty sure, i checked about 3 times, wiping away the diesel, starting the engine, watch the build up. Only seems to collect around the delivery valve holder, beneath the fuel injector pipe. Not leaking from pipe or its union as I wiped that clean to check its not weeping and running down from above. I doubt its the bleed screw this time as it would only come out around where the holder is threaded into the pump body :( if only it was that simple!!!!! :(

Is there a procedure for removing these pumps?

Is there a procedure for removing these pumps?

I don't think it's any more complicated than "disconnect inlet and outlet pipes, disconnect fuel rack, undo two mounting bolts are lift away". The mechanical drive is a lever which pushed on a moving plunger at the bottom of the pump, so there's nothing to disconnect there.

MP.

Hi, I have managed to find the source of my oil dilution thanks to Peter Thompson's troubleshooting guide for the matter. Injector 2's delivery valve holder is leaking diesel. I have put everything back to how it was (still leaking). Luckily I have found my decompressors on the rocker covers to work! If the worst should happen and the engine run-away!

I tried to further tighten the holder however on inspection the metal was a bit distorted leading me to believe this had been tried in the past. I now need to have that particular pump reconditioned.

I need to apply the diesel stopcock and drain the diesel out of the pump. I spoke with a company who can recondition the pump for around £100, they said its not difficult to remove the pump.

Any other hints/pointers as to removing a pump from the SR3? Thanks

Have uploaded the LR/SRM manual to my account. You can download it from link below. Hope it helps.

th_Screenshot18.png

Edited by by'eck